Secret Moments In A Crowded Room

Originally Posted: 06/06/2022

"If I didn't know any better I'd think you like me as your dirty little secret," he gruffly chuckles, sitting at the foot of your bed watching as you put the finishing touches on your outfit for tonight.

"My dirty little secret? No. Never."

"But?"

"It's kinda fun though," you coyly offer, turning away from the mirror to face Bucky. "Our secret moments in a crowded room. They have no idea about me and you."

"Did you just quote Taylor Swift?" he sighs in exasperation, pulling you closer to him by your waist.

"Maybe."

"All I'm saying is if I see a single pervy look or someone hitting on you, our secrets not going to be a secret anymore," he warns, though his smirk defies the serious tone of his words.

"I think that's a fair deal."

Surprisingly, the night didn't drag for Bucky. Not in the slightest.

In fact, time ebbed and flowed rather quickly for an event like this. Normally, these large, extravagant, black tie events to keep the Avengers in the public's good graces were absolutely awful. He usually said very little, he wouldn't move from his stool at the bar, he barely interacted with anyone outside of his normal circle, he didn't give people any more ammunition against him.

But even though you'd parted from him over an hour ago, he didn't even feel your absence. How could he with this little game you were playing?

In that way, you were absolutely right, it was a lot of fun.

Quick, fleeting moments with no one none the wiser. Every few minutes he'd catch your eye or you'd catch his. This time he juts his head in the direction of the side exit. Your lips pull in to hide your mischievous grin, but still you slightly shake your head reminding him that you couldn't leave yet.

It was almost a challenge.

You were challenging him to be the first to break, to reveal your secret in a room full of reporters. He does his best to contain his grin, knowing that anything other than his stone-faced expression would definitely garner some attention. He coyly bites his lip when your eyes flicker back to him.

"You guys are still doing this?" Sam groans, eyes flickering between the lingering, flirty gazes you and Bucky are exchanging. "Hello?"

"Huh? What?" Bucky asks, reluctantly tearing his eyes away from you.

"I've been talking to you for like ten minutes."

"Yeah, yeah, no, that sounds great," Bucky unconvincingly agrees. "A great idea."

"Now I know you weren't listening," Sam scolds, taking a long drink from his glass only to see that Bucky isn't listening once again. "Is it alright if I have your arm?"

"Sure. No problem," Bucky absently replies, not even turning his head to reply to Sam.

"And will you cover my assignments for the next year?"

"Yeah, mhm... Don't worry about it."

"Is it okay if I tell the world you two are together?"

"What?" Bucky exclaims, finally tearing his eyes away from you. "No!"

Sam scoffs, "Of course, that you hear."

"Why would you even ask me that?"

"This has to be the world's worst kept secret," Sam complains. "Everyone already knows!"