My Funny Valentine

Originally Posted: 02/14/2023

Prompt Credits to @/scealaiscoite on Tumblr! 

Bouquet - to present them with a bunch of flowers

It's honestly one of his favorite things to do.

And he knows, he knows that you could do this yourself. Grow a flower in the palm of your hand like nothing. But no one could change his mind.

There was nothing that could take away from the moment he got to surprise you with a bouquet of flowers. The slight flush of your cheeks, the wide smile of surprise, the way you eyes would light up every time you saw them sitting in a vase on the kitchen counter.

It was absolutely priceless to him.

Lavish - to take them on a date to an upscale establishment

Admittedly, Bucky struggled with this one at first.

He still vividly remember that very first night:

"Call me back, Sam," he hissed under his breath as he sat alone at the table while you went to the bathroom, "This place is too fancy and I don't know what fork to kill myself with."

But now, he sort of loved it.

Even if he never would admit that to anyone else.

There was something about making a random Thursday feel special. Because to him, it was special.

Even just seeing you smile up at him in adoration and a love he never thought he'd get to have, it felt like like won a contest. He liked making some random Thursday night feel special.

Everyone told him that electric, fluttering, butterflies in your stomach feeling he had when he looked at you would fade away at some point, and he desperately hoped that it wouldn't be the case with you two. And if, by some tragic fate, it did, he would be at peace knowing he relished in it while he still had it.

Adore - to shower them with affection

Bucky did not struggle with being showered in adoration. Not once he was comfortable with you.

You, as a compulsive people pleaser, struggled in that sense.

Once he realized that, Bucky made it a point to verbalize his adoration. That he thought you were doing a good job. How you constantly impressed him. How lucky he was to have you in his life. How even the team was lucky.

He also made it a point to remind you that you didn't need affirmations from him or anyone else, you were amazing with or without it - but he was more than happy to remind you of that.

PDA - to dote on them publicly

It took Bucky a while to feel comfortable with any public displays of affection.

There was always a part of him that felt like what the two of you shared needed to be protected, constantly guarded. The world was different now. It moved quickly, it could be cut-throat, vicious. He wanted to protect his most cherished possession for as long as he could.

And for a while that meant he couldn't hold your hand when you were both walking down the street. It meant he couldn't dance with out at one of Tony's stupid parties.

And then one day, more specifically after Sam 'accidentally' leaked a picture confirming your relationship to the public, it just didn't really matter.

Not the protecting what the two of you shared part.