The Compound Conspiracy

Originally Posted: 01/23/2022

"I'm going to kick your ass- I know what you all are doing," Bucky quietly spits into his phone.

"Steve's not coming either, is he?" you ask, though you're pretty sure you have your answer. It was just the two of you waiting in front of the movie theater that you'd all agreed upon when Steve arranged this team movie night. Except, slowly but surely, you and Bucky got texts and calls from every other member telling you they weren't going to be able to make it tonight.

"No, he's not," Bucky grunts, aggressively flipping his phone shut.

"So it's just you and me?"

"Yeah, guess movie night's a bust," he grumbles. "Maybe we can try another night."

"You know," you say as he's turning around to leave. "I know I'm not your first choice, but we could still hang out? Just the two of us?"

Bucky stops the second he hears your offer. He pauses, wondering if you're just being nice or if you genuinely want to spend time with him. "Uh, yeah. We could- we could do that."

"You don't have to if you don't want to, but I do like spending time with you."

"You do?" Bucky asks in utter disbelief.

"Of course I do."

"Why?"

You tilt your head, slightly confused by the question. "Why wouldn't I? You're great."

His eyebrows pull together, a small smirk pulling at his lips. "I don't think I've ever met a person that would call me great. You might be alone there."

You shrug. "I'm okay with that- but I don't think I am."

"You know, what the heck, let's go have some fun," Bucky says, nudging his head in the opposite direction.

"What about the movie?"

"I've got something better in mind."

You smile excited to see what Bucky's plans entail and waste no time in walking right beside Bucky. As the two of you walk side by side, arms slightly grazing together, you can't help yourself when you reach out and to hold Bucky's hand. You don't even realize you do it until Bucky slightly jolts at the touch, and you instantly pull away your hand. "Sorry, Tony says I have issues with boundaries."

"Yeah, well Tony's a know-it-all," Bucky says, reaching out and taking your hand again.

You simply smile, liking the feeling of Bucky's hand in yours. "You know, I've gotta be honest. I think they ditched us on purpose."

"Yeah, well that's what we get for being friends with a bunch of heroes. They like to meddle."

"Meddle? I thought they just didn't want to see the movie I picked. What are they meddling with?"

"Nothing," Bucky sighs, shaking his head.

"So where are we going?" you ask, changing the subject.

"I was thinking Coney Island? Unless you don't want to," he quickly adds.

"Coney Island?"

"Like the amusement park?"

You purse your lips. "Never heard of it."

"Oh you're going to have a lot of fun- trust me," he says, smiling brightly at you.

Then it's the end of the night, his jacket is wrapped around your shoulders, the giant stuffed animal that he won for you in your arms. You're slowly walking down the hallway to your room, trying to extend your night with Bucky as much as possible.