From Friends To This...

Originally Posted: 01/07/2022

Bucky's had a terrible day.

It started with a terrible wake-up call from Steve at the crack of dawn for a mission. Then that mission went sideways. He came back to the compound, made himself a cup of coffee and slyly waited there, hoping to see you. He doesn't ask anybody where you are or if you're coming down any time soon, that and the fact that everyone's staying away from him because he's have a crap day. You were nowhere to be found. And it was such a bad day that he's certain not even you could cheer him up, not that it would stop you from trying. So he locks himself in his room, hoping this terrible day ends without anymore terrible things happening.

In fact he's had such a terrible day that even you didn't miss it. He locks himself in his room and Steve shakes his head when you're about to knock on the door, letting you know that it might be best to just leave him alone. You nod slightly disappointed, but most of all worried about Bucky. But you listen to Steve, figuring that he knows him best. You leave him alone the entire day, trying to not push him into talking or humoring you.

It's almost the end of the day and you've wasted the day waiting for Bucky to leave him room. You're so bored waiting for Bucky, that you decide your talents are best used in the kitchen right now. You shuffle your current favorite album on your phone and turn up the music.

Bucky hears the music, he hears it and he can't stand how loud it is. He mostly blames the old man inside of him, but he's so riled up today that he stomps down the stairs to tell whoever's blasting that music to turn it down. His fist are clenched and he swears the next person, except for you, that bugs him is going to get a taste of his metal fist. He storms to the kitchen only stopping when he sees you.

You're cooking. Of course, you're cooking- you've discovered it's one of those things that you love to do. It's relaxing, you told Bucky.

The music's so loud that you don't hear Bucky stomp down the hall to disrupt you.

You're playing an album that you've played a million times before, but he's pretty sure he's never seen you dance around the kitchen like this before. Your head is moving to the beat of the song, a fairly fast paced song too. You're twirling around the kitchen so effortlessly that Bucky's practically enchanted by you- the way each time you twirl around the skirt of your yellow dress flows with you. You're killing him. You only stop when you finally see Bucky standing there, leaning against the wall watching you.

"Don't stop on my account," he smirks, pushing himself of the wall.

You take a beat before deciding to play along. "Wasn't planning on it."

Bucky's confused for a second before you take his hand and pull him to you. It's a bolder move than you'd normally make, but you don't have time to regret it before Bucky's arms wrap around your waist.

The laugh that leave him is effortless- the ear-to ear smile so natural in your presence. The last time Bucky danced was in the 40's, but he's spinning you around and dancing with you in a way that leaves you breathless.

The song suddenly slows and Bucky slows with. You're both breathless, faces flushed, and staring into each other's eyes. You're so lost in each other that you're not even moving anymore, just standing with Bucky's arms wrapped around your waist.

"I like shiny things, but I'd marry you with paper rings
Uh huh, that's right

Darling, you're the one I want, and
I hate accidents except when we went from friends to this"

At the same time Sam and Steve are coming back to check on Bucky, worried about him locking himself in his room all day. You don't even hear Sam and Steve walk through the door over the music. They watch you two for a moment- the stupid grin that Steve hasn't seen from Bucky in a long time. The way he's looking at you- the way you're looking at him. The way your breath hitches as Bucky leans even closer to you. It's all a complete turn around from how Steve left Bucky this morning.

Steve's about to leave to give you two some evidently much need privacy, but Sam can't resist. He stops the music, jolting you two out of the obviously intense moment you were having. "Damn, that's some intense prolonged eye contact."

"Sam," Steve hisses, smacking his arm and shaking his head at the way the two of you jump away from each other. Bucky turns and glares at the two of them. You clear your throat and wave at the two of them, before turning around and getting back to whatever you were cooking.

Steve wants to wring Sam's neck for ruining that for Bucky, mostly because he's been trying for months to get Bucky to make a move on you. "We'll leave the two of you alone."

Bucky rolls his eyes at the insinuation but Steve doesn't miss the way Bucky sits at the island and watches you with a growing smile on his face. Or the way you turn around and shyly smile at Bucky.

"Idiots," Steve mumbles at the two of you.