Valentine's Day

Originally Posted: 02/14/2022

"I thought you guys said you weren't doing anything for Valentine's?" Sam asks, the two of them walking through a busy department store filled with other men picking out last minute gifts for their significant other.

"We're not," Bucky corrects, carefully walking through each section of the store to find the perfect gift for you. One that showed you how much he loved you, how much he appreciated you. "I'm doing something."

"Isn't that cheating?" Sam questions, following right on Bucky's heels.

Bucky's back straightens, tearing his gaze away from some gaudy jewelry display to look at Sam. "Cheating? How's that cheating?"

"Well, she's under the impression that you two aren't doing anything. But you're doing something anyway, knowing that she won't do anything because you two agreed that you wouldn't be doing anything."

"I won't lie to you, I only understood about half of what you said."

"Why not just tell her that you want to do something?" Sam asks, the two of them continuing their walk through the crowded store.

"Because we're both just coming off about a month's worth of exhausting, separate missions. We just wanted a quiet night in, so I'm just buying a nice gift for my girl- that's it. And maybe surprising her with some flowers. Maybe dinner."

"And what if she wants to do something nice for you?"

Bucky smirks a little. "She does nice things for me all the time."

"Gross," Sam mock-gags.

"You need to get your mind out of the gutter. I meant she makes me happy, she takes care of me," Bucky casually explains, walking out of the store onto the crowded New York street.

"Oh...well that's nice."

"The other stuff too," Bucky quips, once again smirking at Sam. "But I meant the whole happy thing."

"Again...gross," Sam repeats. "Anyway, since you're not following the rules, what are you getting her?"

"I don't know yet. That's why you're here."

"Okay, but shouldn't this be something that comes from you?"

"Yes, but I need a second opinion. I don't want to get her anything stupid."

"Coming from you? It'll always be stupid," Sam taunts, to which Bucky rolls his eyes and starts to walk away. "Okay, okay, I'll help. It's not like she's hard to shop for. I've never met anyone easier to please."

And then hours pass, the sun's beginning to set the two of men still walking through the streets of New York completely empty-handed.

"Come on, Bucky! I'm hungry," Sam whines for the dozenth time.

"I bought you a slice like an hour ago!"

"But I'm hungry again."

Bucky's about to give up, between his all day search and Sam's now-incessant whining, he's just about had it. That's when the glint of something in a store window catches his eye. He stop walking, turning away from Sam who's still rambling. And it's perfect. Absolutely stunning, and it reminds him of you, completely and unequivocally.

"Sam," Bucky calls.

"What?"

"Come look."

Sam walks over to the window, leaning in to look at whatever Bucky's pointing at. "Oh, a heart shaped locket, how original!"