lX. Memories

Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine

lX.       Memories

    TAWNY WOOD, UNTOUCHED and rough glided along under the mossy overtone. The feeling of it wet on the souls of her feet as she jumped along, ducking under small leaves and jumping to split paths. She stretched the sting of her bow out, slipping it onto where the wood of it was pressed snugly against her back.

She looked down for a split moment, not stopping her momentum before jumping down, and spreading her arms wide. She welcomed the air as she fell, feeling it glide through her hair and touch her skin in a minty sting. She breached herself, feeling her body hit the large leaf and grabbing onto the hard part, thrusting herself on a closer one.

She grunted, thrusting herself onto more leaves as she felt her body get closer to the ground. She grabbed onto the last one, sliding off quickly as she felt her body hit the ground. She landed crouched, one hand in front of her as her tail swished behind her. Her hair was in her face making her blow it away.

"With Ka'yi, it's learn fast or Die."

She stood up, looking up at the sky with impatience as she waited for the star boy.

Jake looked down, his heart pumping as a sickly feeling overcame him. His mouth was open as he breathed heavily, looking down at the long fall with his ears raised in surprise. "You gotta be kidding me." He let out a laugh of disbelief, attaching his bow to his back as he moved back in forth to brace himself.

With a large breath, he moved quickly back, making sure his bow was secured before running forward, his heart leaping out of his chest as he felt his feet leave the rough brach. He screamed, his body threshing around wildly with much less grace as his hands waved about, trying to stable himself in the air.

He missed the leaves, feeling the rough texture of the vines and thin weeds hit his blue skin making him grunt as he felt it slow his fall slightly. Ka'yi looked up at the nose, her eyes open wide as she saw the figure of Jake fall down, his screaming making her ears twitch.

He hit a leaf, his body scrambling to grab onto it as he felt it was too late, his body already sliding to the next one. His breath was knocked out, his body wincing at the pain of the scratches from the branches. Ka'yi scooted back, her eyes glancing over at the clicking sound beside her, only to spot his bow laying on the ground still vibrating from the fall.

She watched as Jake flailed around, his body hitting a large mushroom with no grace, his body folding in weird ways. He painted, trying to suck back in any air around him as he kept a hand on his heart. He rolled over, glancing up at Ka'yi which made his heart skip, he forgot she was there.