ll. Skxawng

Chapter Two

Chapter Two

ll.           Skxawng

EDITING

  IN THE DAPPLED shadows of the lush Pandoran jungle, keen lemur like yellow eyes were fixated on the gentle grazer, the yerik, delicately nibbling on the surrounding vegetation.

The creature's sloped skull and closed, light-colored fan atop it betrayed its obliviousness to the potential dangers lurking nearby.

Ka'yi, her breath a calm and patient rhythm, watched intently. Her hands, wrapped around the wood of her bow handle, reflected the quiet tension in the air. An arrow nestled against the string, poised for action.

Crouched low to the ground, her tail flicking with subtle balance, she resembled a patient cat, ready to pounce at a moment's notice.

The yellow eyes, focused and with pupils smaller than usual, seemed to glow through the foliage that concealed her.

A soft tick of her throat alerted the yerik, prompting it to glance up. Ka'yi, fluid and unheard in her movements, shifted to a more open vantage point, the anticipation mounting.

Lifting her bow, the subtle sounds of the string stretching taut resonated through the stillness. Elbow raised, stomach tight, and breath held, she aimed with unwavering focus.

With a deep inhale, the arrow was released, its whistle slicing the air before finding its mark in the creature's heart. The yerik descended gracefully, disturbing the ground beneath.

Ka'yi wasted no time, bounding over to the fallen creature. Crouched above it, knife in hand, she delicately placed the blade at its neck. In a whispered farewell,

"Oel ngati kameie, ma tsmukan, ulte ngaru," she conveyed gratitude and mercy before swiftly ending the yerik's journey with a compassionate slit to its throat.

The blood coated Ka'yi's hand as she methodically wiped her knife, returning it to the holder on her chest with a practiced motion.

A small exhale escaped her, as she gripped the arrow embedded in the creature's body. The audible tearing of flesh accompanied its extraction.

With a swift movement, the arrow found its place on her back, nestled among the others in a holder.

Standing, her tail flicked gracefully, its black tuft brushing against her ankle. She adjusted her bow, the string pressed close to her chest, an extension of herself.