Chapter 44.

'What is the meaning of this?' Loki demanded as he stepped into the library room.

He sent a message to Lestat two days ago that he would meet him here to begin the training, so he was quite cross to find David standing there who looked quite confused as well.

'Lestat asked me to meet one of his business associates as he is otherwise indisposed. I assume that would be you.'

'Otherwise indisposed.' Loki scoffed and sat down on the sofa without any introduction.

David felt utterly uncomfortable, cursing Lestat for putting him into such a predicament. He could feel the immense power emanating from the raven-haired stranger dressed in a fine, three-piece suit who he witnessed exercising powerful magic a few nights ago and he wasn't quite sure how to proceed.

'Did he tell you about our deal?' Loki asked him, looking at him with palpable hostility.

'He told me that you require assistance with a spell.'

'Astral projection which he was supposed to teach me. Emphasis on he.' Loki replied rather arrogantly as if David was somehow thick in the head.

'I'm afraid you have to deal with me. I might add, that I came here as a favour and whatever agreement you two made, he clearly forgot to mention its exact terms and conditions to me. You can hardly blame me for that.'

A faint smile tugged on Loki's lips and the look in his eyes softened, hearing David's calm yet assertive response.

'You must be David Talbot.' he said and he stood up to extend his hand.

David accepted it and shook it.

'You have me at a disadvantage here, Mr...'

'Leo, you can call me Leo.' Loki said.

'Pleased to meet you, Leo.'

'We shall see. Before we begin, I must ask, how long do you think it takes to master this trick including the possession of another body?'

'That depends on the pupil. Lestat learned it within two nights of extensive practice.'

'I thought it was one night?'

'He likes to exaggerate.' David smiled.

'Indeed.' Loki returned his smile. He started to like David and his smooth manners.

'OK then. I must ask you one more thing.'

'Please, go ahead.'

'When he asks how I'm doing, I must ask you not to give him an update. He decided to delegate his duty to you, disregarding our agreement and I don't want him prying on my development. If he insists, lie, play it down. Can you do that for me, Mr. Talbot? I'm aware of the gravity of my request, yet this won't work if I can't trust you.'

'We have just met, Leo. You shouldn't trust me.' David pointed out, the self-conscious academic he was.

Loki gave him a slow, cold smile.

'I'm fully aware of that, but make no mistake, should you give me any reason to doubt you or your intentions, I will find a way to hurt you. You don't want me as your enemy.'

David felt the hair rise up on the back of his neck.

'I won't share any information with Lestat about your progress. Rest assured, I am a man of my word. I must ask you something, too. Why are you so determined to learn astral projection?'

'I have a powerful enemy and I'd like to be prepared in case he tries anything of the sort. I won't use it for my own selfish purposes or to hurt innocent people, if that's what you're afraid of.'