Chapter 13.

Loki shooed away the servants and looked at his reflection in the mirror. He was wearing a long, moss green, high neck jacket with golden seams at the front and the back, accentuating his slim waist, black vest and green under shirt with black pants and leather boots. He was strapped with his two favorite daggers under the coat and one in his boots. He was pleased with the result. He looked positively dashing, nobody would be able to resist him. He brushed a stray hair behind his ears and took a sip of wine. He grinned at the thought of holding Elianah in his arms.

'Your Royal Highness, the King and Queen are expecting you.' a page interrupted his musings.

'Let's not make them wait.' he said.

He was meant to meet the rest of his family in the main hall from where they would proceed to the balcony and open the three-day Annual Celebrations. The king and queen were waiting for him, Thor was nowhere to be seen. Odin looked at Loki, pleased.

'Greetings, my boy. You look well.'

'Thank you, Father.' he bowed politely. 'You and Mother look majestic as always.'

'Do you know where your brother is? He is late as usual.'

'I'm here, Father!' Thor shouted, flying in with Mjölnir. 'Please accept my apologies.'

Odin frowned at Thor and turned to Frigga, extending his hand to her. They stepped outside the balcony, followed by Thor and Loki. The crowd cheered for long minutes when they appeared. Loki knew Elianah was watching from some of the lower balconies, standing with the gentry. He resisted the urge to look for her.

   It didn't surprise him when she excused herself from their lessons through a messenger, telling him that she was helping the Queen with the preparations. He knew she would avoid him after their kiss. He grinned at the memory. She could avoid him all she wanted, she couldn't get out of their dance. Frigga gave him and Thor the dancing chart and her name was there in the twelfth place. 

   He thought about their kiss many times, how her body responded to his and that gave him enough proof. He was past the point of incertitude and self-reflection. He was waiting patiently, like a serpent laying in the tall grass, watching the unsuspecting mouse coming in and out of her nest. When they occasionally ran into each other, they both played their parts well as if nothing happened and everything was alright and oh, she was good at pretending, it was only fueling Loki's resolve. He wanted to punish her for making him doubt himself, for treating him the way she did. He was intent to make her want him the same way he wanted her. It won't be easy, but he liked a challenge. Odin finished his opening speech and spectacles began: thousands of floating lamps were released, skiffs flying gracefully in different formations, painting the sky the color of a rainbow.

   When the Royal Family retreated from the balcony, Elianah followed the ladies of the court back to the ball room. She was still in shock, seeing the huge crowd, hearing Odin addressing them, seeing the Royals in their full glory. Loki looked as handsome as ever, solemnly regal. The ball room was resplendent in displays of unearthly power and wealth, richly decorated with flowers and plants. The attendees were wearing the colors reflecting the two seasons of the year which were winter and summer. Frigga sent Elianah a beautiful silver gown individually hand embellished with light blue crystal waterfall beading to create the illusion of snowfall when she walked. It was sumptuously elegant, with its draped cowl back and split cap sleeves. She spotted Sif who looked splendid wearing a white dress with crystal detailing and gently flared sleeves. She was talking to a guard, probably giving him instructions. Her hair was tied up in a loose French braid bun with pearls threaded into it. She was wearing two clear quartz earrings.

'You look amazing! Wow!' Elianah complimented her.

'Ah, this old thing!' Sif laughed. 'I saved for a year to buy it and never had the chance to wear it until now. You look amazing too!'