Chapter 28.

Elianah rushed towards Loki to help, but she was tackled by a demon. They wrestled on the ground and she felt her fury boiling up in her body, fueling her magic. She growled, staring at the demon and then a bright silver light erupted from her, blowing him up. She heard a familiar shout and saw Cerberus lifting its head, being kicked off of Loki by a tall man.

'Orion?' she murmured and jumped to her feet, rushing towards Loki, but two shadows appeared in front of her.

She focused her magic on the apparitions, evaporating them on impact.

'Behind you.' Orion shouted and as she turned around, but he was already next to Elianah, killing a girl who was about to stab her with a knife.

They fought back-to-back until the demons retreated. The ground began to shake and Cerberus jumped back into the crack that closed as quickly as it appeared.

'Come with me.' Orion said, pulling her by her hand.

'Loki!' Elianah objected.

'I think the vampire took him. We're not safe here.'

'Hold my hand.' she said and teleported back to the apartment.

   Orion stumbled against the counter as they landed in the kitchen. Elianah was reaching out to Loki, but all she received was silence.

'Magic?' he asked her, pressing his right hand on his side.

'Who are you?' she demanded, taking a step back.

Orion was breathing heavily, looking at her.

'Forgotten me already?'

'I saw you die.'

'That's what He wanted you to believe. I was dragged back to the Underworld. I heard he was planning to attack you tonight and managed to escape.'

'I don't believe you.' Elianah narrowed her eyes.

'I assume this place is warded. Would I be able to enter if I meant you any harm? Isn't that why we came here, so you can check?' he winced as he sat down on one of the chairs.

'You're hurt.'

'It's nothing.'

Elianah stepped closer, taking a long, hard look at him. Orion stood her glare, allowing her to read his mind. She saw images of torture, she heard his screams, but it was all blurred by the state he was in. She felt pain and something else: pure, undiluted anger.

'I couldn't stand by and watch them hurt you. I trained you, you are or were a loyal subject.' he spoke quietly.

'I'm nobody's subject.' she noted. 'Show me your wound.'

'It's nothing I can't handle.'

'Orion, show me!'

   He let out a shaky breath as he pulled off his dark tunic. He was thinner than she remembered. He was still brawny, but lost a lot of weight. There were dark bruises, burn and whip marks all over his abdomen and back, a fresh stab wound marring his right side. Elianah went to the bathroom and fetched the first aid kit. She cleaned his wound.

'Press on it. I need to patch you up.'

She closed his wound with running sutures, just like Orion taught him to.

'I always thought I will have to patch you up, not the other way around.' he said.

'I can't reach Loki. Cerberus attacked him. He must be severely injured.'

'You're not seriously thinking to go back out there. He must be laying low.'

'He would have messaged me.' Elianah said. 'Something's wrong.'