The Glimmerberry Ball

I'm not excited for the ball anymore. Let me make this clear. I was excited. Berry excited. The most excited I could ever be. But the interaction between Raspberry and I last night, at the lantern march, has left me uneasy. Let me show you.

----

Flashback

----

The lanterns are the only source of light against this not-berry-starry night. Me, the girls, and everyone in Berry Bitty City have used their lanterns to make a colorful illuminating pattern that makes me feel safe and collected. The girls feel the same way, and Strawberry even fell asleep. No one has bothered to wake her up, and Plum is using it to her advantage, because she's doodling on her forehead with another marker.

Me: Plum, another marker...?

Plum: Don't worry, this one isn't permanent...! I learned from my mistakes...!

Lemon: I don't know if that's a good idea anyway...

Plum: I'm not writing anything bad...

She snickers a lot, and that makes me think the opposite. My curiosity gets the better of me and I see Plum writing "ME DUMB" on Strawberry's forehead.

Me: [chuckles silently] She is going to kill you...

Plum: Quick, stick out your hand...

I don't know why I'd need to do that but I comply.

Me: Now what...?

She places the marker in my hand, taps Strawberry on the chest, and runs away.

Shoot.

Strawberry wakes up and I put the marker behind my back.

Strawberry: [yawns] Oh, sorry, did I fall asleep...?

Me: Uh, yeppers. That's exactly what happened.

I try not to look at the words on her head.

Strawberry: Well, I couldn't help it. The soft grass with the lights just made this the perfect spot for a nap.

Me: Yeah, uh, why don't you just go back to sleep?

Strawberry: I'd like to, but you know the ball is tomorrow, and I want to see what type of foods I should prepare.

She sees me looking at her head, and is confused.

Strawberry: What?

I snap out of it.

Me: S-sorry, uh, you know what you should make? Coconut macaroons. They're not festive treats, but I like them.

Strawberry: Oh, good idea. I'll make a note of it for tomorrow.

She sees my hands tied.

Strawberry: What's behind your back?

Me: Oh, nothing. I just like to hold my hands like this.