Chapter 27 - Can't Stand The Heat

Start from the beginning

However, his pride was at stake and Jeongguk definitely wasn't about to let Taehyung get the better of him by showing him up.

The brunet was far too confident and although he had every right to be, Jeongguk wasn't going to give up so easily.

"Okay then commando, basic rules apply. Keep the jalapeño in your mouth for as long as possible. Whoever spits out the jalapeño first, loses," Taehyung explained as he slid the pot over to his husband. Jeongguk rolled his eyes but took out a pepper anyway.

The jalapeño looked deadly to Jeongguk. Its emerald green colouring appeared threatening and of course, Taehyung made sure all the peppers had loads of seeds.

Jeongguk inwardly cursed as he counted all the little white dots scattered at the centre of the pepper- upwards of fifteen of the suckers.

Naturally, Jeongguk went for the smallest one in the hopes that it would ease his inevitable pain.

It was a desperate attempt to try and win.

The ravenet then pushed the pot back towards Taehyung, who took out one of the green peppers. Just to spite the Marine, Taehyung went for the biggest one in there, which caused Jeongguk to raise his eyebrows in slight horror and annoyance.

"Are you ready?" The brunet asked with a ridiculing smirk. His eyes bored into Jeongguk as he asked the question, knowing full well that his husband was anything but 'ready'.

"Always," Jeongguk replied quickly, determined not to show any weakness. Both husbands were naturally competitive and clearly neither were going to back down.

"Okay, jalapeños at the ready. Three. . . Two. . . One. . . Go!" Taehyung announced before both of them placed the jalapeño on their tongue, closing their mouths.

For a few short seconds, Jeongguk was okay. He calmed himself down from immediately spitting out the pepper but soon the heat got to him.

Sweat beaded on his forehead as his face turned slightly red. Jeongguk tried to stop himself from gagging as the jalapeño seemed to somehow get hotter.

Taehyung tried to contain his laughter as Jeongguk's condition got worse and worse. The ravenet's face was now beet red, the spice had clearly gotten to him and yet Jeongguk persevered.

"You look like you want to spit the pepper out," Taehyung taunted, trying to break Jeongguk's will. It was clear the Marine was going to lose because the brunet remained almost unaffected. Only a slight pink blush had formed on Taehyung's cheeks but other than that, there was no sign that the brunet was even eating something spicy.

"Not even breaking a sweat," Jeongguk returned, trying to prove he could handle the heat and beat Taehyung.

However, after a few minutes, Jeongguk was practically dying and Taehyung showed no sign of giving up.

The Marine banged the table as he spat out the jalapeño, the spice proving too much to handle.

Jeongguk pushed his wheelchair abruptly, going as fast as he could to the kitchen.

"Victory is mine!" Taehyung cheered in the background but Jeongguk was in too much pain to react. It felt like someone was repeatedly stabbing Jeongguk's tongue as the red hot heat spread unwaveringly.

The ravenet filled up a cup with water and gulped down the liquid, only to find the stinging pain getting worse.

Taehyung burst out in laughter after swallowing the jalapeño. He could hardly string his words together as he watched his husband suffer.

"J-jeon-g-guk you need to d-drink mi-ilk!" Taehyung replied as he doubled over in laughter. Jeongguk immediately went wide-eyed as he pushed his wheelchair towards the fridge and pulled out the carton of milk.

The brunet's laughter died down slightly once Jeongguk drank the milk, easing the pain caused by the spicy pepper.

"Godlike spice tolerance my left toe," Taehyung muttered under his breath as he watched his husband put the milk back inside the fridge.

"I heard that," Jeongguk replied as he gave the brunet a death stare, his eyes sharp and cold.

To say the Marine was unhappy would be an understatement. He wasn't used to losing- especially against Taehyung.

"You were meant to hear it. I knew you were talking out of your ass," Taehyung answered as he crossed his arms.

Jeongguk just ignored his husband, still frustrated about losing. The Marine scowled as he went past Taehyung, causing the brunet to scoff.

"Are you mad Jeonggukie~~~" Taehyung called out, snickering when he heard Jeongguk's reply.

"Not at all. . . asshole,"