chapter 38

"Did you guys see the way he crash landed right into the bad dude? Like I was seriously blown away. He's never been able to do that in the previous movies! It's like his character got some upgrade or something..." Ned inquired, referring to the movie we saw, as Peter nodded, clearly intrigued. I watched them with a smile, as I walked alongside a suspiciously-quiet David. I just assumed this was the most social interaction he's experienced in a while, which was understandable. 

Peter bit his bottom lip in thought, "Ned, didn't you see the end credits scene on the last movie?  It literally showed Samuel getting powers."

"End credit scene!?" Ned whipped around, bewildered.

I quietly laughed at his shock, but immediately noticed we were rapidly approaching the apartment complex. Ned glanced at his watch, groaning.

"Hey, guys, I gotta go, but thanks for watching the movie with me."

"See you, Ned." I grinned, patting his shoulder.

David gave him a polite, pursed smile, and Ned turned to Peter to say his goodbyes. 

Once the boy was a few feet away, it turned awkward. Especially since David's harsh gaze remained on Peter. The younger boy shifted, uncomfortably, immediately glancing at me for backup. I just sighed, realizing we were going to get nowhere by beating around the bush.

"David, I... I'm with Peter."

"Yea... I got that."

My eyes widened slightly, as if to say 'was it that obvious?'

"Oh. Ok, then there's no problem here." I linked Peter's arm in mine with an obnoxiously chirpy grin, leading the dumbfounded boy towards the entrance of the complex. 

"Well, I didn't say that there wasn't a prob-" 

David's protests were cut off by the sound of the door closing, and he scrambled to follow us, bitterly.

"What's her name?" Peter's eyes were glued to the black, blue-eyed cat-- who didn't seem to be paying him any mind.

"Ashe. She was a stray I found after my date with...erm, Alex." I looked away, wincing as the words flew out from my lips carelessly. I don't know why I cared so much about Peter's potential reaction. Alexander Walker was locked away-- far away-- behind rusted metal bars. I shouldn't care about him anymore. Yet the syringes and metal trays looped through my mind like a carousel.

I don't know why I expected him to say anything else about Alexander. What's done is done.

The brunette boy extended his hand towards the scowling kitty, "I think she likes me..."

It was as if the creature had ears, because she flashed him a look of offense-- and then quickly nipped the tip of his finger, and scurried off. 

"Ouch!"

"Opal!" I glowered, leaning down towards the cat, who was hiding under the shadows of my bed. She lazily swished her tail, back and forth, not a care in the world, "Sorry, Peter, she's not usually like this... don't take it personally."

"Ah, it's fine. But it's bad enough that your brother doesn't like me . I don't need your cat hating me either..." Peter slumped down on the bed, cradling his bleeding finger. He was half-joking but I couldn't peel my eyes off of his frown as he looked down to the floor.

"My brother likes you... he just shows it in an odd way..."

The boy glanced over at me, obviously not convinced. With a small laugh, I opened the drawer of my desk and grabbed a band-aid. He was still examining the crimson bead of blood on his finger, as I sat next to him, quickly wrapping the band-aid around the tiny wound.

"M'kay, you want me to kiss your booboo?" I joked, tauntingly.

He rolled his eyes, a grin still grappling it's way onto his lips. He just stared at me for a moment-- and then his gaze flickered towards my lips and I immediately leaned forwards, my hand intertwining with his. My body melted into him as he ran his other hand across my waist, the calloused tips of his fingers brushing against the bare skin of my back. The butterflies in the pit of my stomach danced around so vigorously, I almost felt them travel to my lips, as they synchronized with his. When I pulled away to catch my breath, something rushed to mind. I searched his eyes and chewed on the inside of my cheek.

"What's wrong? Second thoughts?" The corner of his eyes crinkled as his signature, dorky smile was plastered onto his lips.

Even though it was a joke, my eyes widened defensively, and I ran my hand through his dark hair, "What? No! Never.... I just feel bad for telling my brother that we were together without... y'know, consulting with you."

"Oh- no, I didn't mind... I didn't care-- I mean I did care, but it wasn't that big of a deal... I mean, unless it was a big deal to you then-"

I couldn't help myself, I just flung myself half across the bed, roaring with laughter. By the time I had even begun to slow down, my stomach cramped and my breaths had become shallow. Peter's face was glowing red, and I decided to stop myself, feeling a little guilty. From my position on the bed, I reached my arm out to poke his face.

"Sorry." I muttered, biting back a cheeky grin.

He just huffed at my attempt to stop the fit of laughter, and joined me on the bed, his eyes tracing over my amused expression. Peter gently cupped my face with his hand, grazing his thumb over my cheekbone. He moved his arm down to my waist, and hesitantly slipped his hand under my shirt, lightly rubbing circles onto my skin.

"I really like you, Y/N."

I smiled, like a genuine smile. A smile that almost felt unfamiliar, because of lack of authentic happiness I'd had in a long time. 

"I know... otherwise you probably wouldn't be laying here with me."

A/N: lmao sorry for the thousand year delay but here's the long awaited chapter 38. Have a lovely day, take care, bye!