chapter 32

The irony of it all had me chuckle silently, wincing as my rib cage pressed against the hard ground. It all clicked, it was almost satisfying now. However, it also made me feel stupid, especially looking back, at least 30 second before this moment.

The moment when I realized who my red and blue savoir really was. The moment I knew the two guys I've been practically fawning over-- without actually realizing-- were the same people.

The same people. One person. 

It made sense. Their personalities are too much alike, I know that much now.

It was mind boggling, really. Even though it clicked and it makes sense, I still can't wrap my head around it. On top of that, it makes me feel even guiltier... if that was even possible. 

Peter was panting, rapidly. Beads of sweat dripped down his face as he wiped his forehead with the back of his gloved-hand. I grunted and coughed-- leaning back up from my somewhat-dramatic position on the ground.

"Y/N..." He sputtered, jogging towards me.

Before I could utter any words, he simply scooped me up in his arms and sprinted away from the crumbling building. My head rested against his chest as it rose and fell. He was clearly out of breath, I could tell he was using far too much energy to run and carry another human at the same time. 

Suddenly, we collapsed. He's knees gave out and I softly landed on the grass. Peter leaned back to lay on the ground, trying to catch his breath. As I swiftly sat up, I immediately noticed his wounds. Deep red bled out onto his suit. His nose was slightly bleeding and the was a trail of blood on his cheek, a smaller but identical cut was on his jaw as well and there was a purple bruise around his left eye.

I leaned over him, gently cupping his face "Oh, Peter..."

peter;

My vision was blurry and cloudy from the smoke. Everything hurt. I was cut up really bad from Alexander's knives and my throat was filled with the harsh smoke.

The only thing that couldn't be mistaken through my teary vision was Y/N, and her face hovering about 8 inches above mine. Her hand resting on the side of my face, as she inspected the bloody wounds.

y/n;

They were worse up close. Some had specks of dirt, which was bound for an infection if we didn't make it to the hospital in time.

He brought his hand up mine, the one that cupped his face.

"We need... to go to the hospital... Y/N..." he croaked, barely a whisper.

"I know, I know..."

As I stood, I helped him up, wrapping my arm around his waist for support, as he leaned on me. The side-effects of the injection were wearing off, but I was weak and my legs barely started to function, so that meant walking all the way back to the city was going to be hard.

Unless...

We we're already walking down the road from the old sanatorium when an idea popped in my mind.

"I could call my brother...?"

But I realized. My phone was in my clutch purse... which happened to be in the burning building, at least I'm assuming it was.

Great.

I groaned, looking ahead. The road seemed to go on forever. I was a little surprised when Peter spoke up, out of the blue.

"Why didn't you... go with her...?"

My gaze shifted, turning my head to look at him.

"Charlotte?" I replied, knitting my brows in confusion.

He meekly nodded, as he kept his eyes ahead, looking anywhere but me. I was going to answer, but he continued before I got the chance.

"I... told you to go... and I thought maybe she would take you far from here... I saw you guys, outside, running away... but..."

Peter shook his head, intending that I wasn't supposed to be here. Helping him. That I was supposed to be safe and sound with Charlotte. I frowned.

"You expected me to leave you? In that crumbling building?"

That's when he looked-- dead at me-- a hint of something in his eyes, suggesting something, but I couldn't tell what.

"Well- That would have been... ideal... I mean, Alexander had bombs in there, Y/N... I wanted you far away from there..." He mumbled the last part, barely audible.

Disbelief is what brought a grin on my face, "Wow... you really are insane..." I lightly chuckled, hoping to lift the tense mood.

A small smile appeared on his lips, looking away from me.

peter;

I wanted to beat myself up even more.

It's hard to stay mad at someone like her. Especially when I see her smile or hear her laugh. I was still angry though. She wasn't supposed to be at the doors when I miraculously escape the burning hospital. She was supposed to be away... in case something were to happen... to me. I wouldn't have wanted her to witness my death like that.

"Where did Charlotte go anyway?" I cleared my throat.

She scoffed, "Took off, I guess... couldn't wait another 10 minutes..."

"Why did you wait for me, Y/N?"

I looked at her.

"I guess... I'm just repaying you for all the times you've saved my ass from getting shot up or being killed by my ex boyfriend..." She laughed at how ridiculous the sentence sounded.

y/n; 

We slowly approached a main road, with road-signs covered in weeds and ivy.

"Jesus, this place is like a billion years old." 

"Tell me about it..." Peter replied, looking at the long stretch of pavement that seemed to go on for miles.

He sighed.

In the corner of my eye, two beams of light illuminated the road in the distance. It was a car.

"Guess it's not so abandoned after all..."

a/n: hi luvs hope you enjoyed this chapter and ty for reading <333 srry for any typos :( anyways have a good day/evening and Ill see u next chapter. :)