chapter 30

a/n: wooooooooooooooooooooooooo folks we finally hit the 30 mark <3333

I took a second-- contemplating the fastest, but also safest, way to get down the staircase, so I didn't bust my ass even more than I already have.

So, I slid down. Like an idiot. It hurt my ribs against the hard-wood floor but I sucked it up. Finally, I landed at the at bottom. Dramatically sprawled out.

"Psssst! Y/N!"

Startled, I flinched and looked over at whoever was whispering at me.

Of course it was Ms. Barlow herself.

"Let me help you, please." she pleaded, obviously trying to make up for brutally murdering my dear grandmother.

"Well, if you insist." I replied, sarcastically.

She swiftly hoisted me up, and positioned me with my arm around her shoulder so that I wasn't putting a lot of weight on my jelly-noodle legs, whatever you want to call it. And we began slowly walking down the next set of stairs. I tried to block out the loud, concerning thuds and thumps that were heard about two floors above us. I prayed Spider man was ok... and also beating the shit out of Alexander, I'm not gonna lie.

I started mumbling, the oddness of my situation, "So, my boyfriend is basically trying to kill me to end my 'bloodline' just for some stupid shit I didn't even cause or witness? Jesus, am I in a soap opera or what?"

"Sounds about... right." Charlotte chimed in.

"So, why did you help him, then?"

"Money." She shrugged.

I scoffed, half-laughing too at the ridiculousness of it all.

Of course it was for money.

Typically, I'd be losing my shit-- crying and screaming but it still felt like I was in a movie. As if maybe I'd wake up soon from my annoying alarm to get up and walk to school. But nothing happened. No alarms. Just the sound of a fight upstairs, as Charlotte and I hastily ran down the stairs. I'd consider pinching myself if I wasn't in such a fragile state-- and also if I wasn't being dragged down the stairwell.

I was practically tripping down the stairs from her overly-quick pace, but I wasn't complaining. It was a lot quicker than my slip-n-slide strategy, that might've cost me a cracked rib.

Then I saw it. An old sign with an arrow pointing downwards towards another set of stairs.

LOBBY/FLOOR 1

A long, heavy, relieved sigh slipped from my lips, that I'd probably been holding since I've been here. That room had started to make me feel claustrophobic, mainly because of the creeping sensation that I was never going to escape and that I would be stuck there until my last breaths-- until he came along.

I couldn't wait to just pathetically run up to him and hug him so tight. Thanking him for all the shit he's done for me.

And all you've ever done was push him away.

The thought sours my previous, hopeful mood. I felt a little guilty. No- I felt so guilty. For him and Peter. I'd pushed them away for some no-good jackass that really just needed me for a pathetic revenge plot. He and Peter probably wouldn't even speak to me after this-- and I can't blame them. 

After a few moments of what feels like one long blur, I finally-- in what feels like forever-- see the outside through the double doors. 

It's even prettier in person than in the old, dusty window. The stars, that is.

Once we're finally outside, Charlotte breaks into a sprint-- still keeping her death grip on me, although, it's even tighter now. I scream.

"Charlotte! What the hell! I need to wait for him at the damn door!"

She doesn't answer. Just keeps running. We're in the grassy field now-- and I realize.

"Please... please, Charlotte! Don't tell me he put bombs in there!" 

Charlotte is panting now as she puts me down, and stops a moment to catch her breath. I don't wait. As soon as her grip loosens around my waist. I start running. Well at least as fast as a partially-paralyzed person can run. Which isn't very fast-- considering Charlotte tackles me in a matter of seconds.

"I'M TRYING TO SAVE YOUR LIFE, DAMMIT!" She croaks, loudly. A hint of desperation was heard in her voice.

"NO! LET ME GO! I NEED TO SAVE HIM!"

I sobbed, rather dramatically, into the grass, as Charlotte tried to pull me up.

"Please... I can forgive you... I really can... just let me go back, I need to see him...that's all I ask." I pleaded, in between heaving sobs and stinging tears.

Pity was painted on her face as she looked into my eyes, and shook her head, "I'm sorry..."

I cried, trembling-- waiting for the ear-splitting sound of the explosion that was yet to come. The gut-wrenching feeling of waiting for something horrible to happen. It tore me apart, every second that it delayed. I cried knowing that every second that passed was one second closer. I couldn't even look at the building. I didn't want to see it. I didn't want to see the thing that would take him away from me, forever.

a/n: this was very emotional but i hope u liked it???? anyways see yall later <333 and again, sorry for any typos or mistakes <3.

byeee