chapter 31

It was as ear-splitting as I had played it to be in my head-- over and over again. The sound of the explosion rang out. Thank god we weren't any closer than we already were, because debris had just barely landed within 10 feet of us.

Charlotte held me, awkwardly, as I cried into her shirt, like a baby. It took me back to the times I used to cry to my own mother, burying my head into her sweaters. I could still smell her rose perfume. Charlotte smelled like stale hospital dust... but it'll do.

She pat my back, attempting to comfort me as best as she could.

I couldn't bring myself to look at the destroyed sanatorium, but I could tell it had practically gone into flame, because when I looked up at Charlotte, her eyes were set on it, and they were reflecting the orange flames that was engulfing the entire building.

Minutes had gone by and still nothing, just the blazing fire.

By then, I finally looked-- turning my head so that it was still lazily positioned on Charlotte's lap. I had to admit, the fire looked stunning. The flames licking and climbing ever-so-slowly up the building. But nothing could fully distract me. I stared dead at the entrance. Waiting for movement. A shadow. Anything, at this point.

Charlotte was growing a little impatient.

"Y/N... we need to go. Paramedics and police will probably roll up any minute... and I would rather not be arrested right now."

I had the urge to say something like, you should be arrested, but I held my tongue. 

"I'm not leaving until someone comes out of there."

She practically shoves me off her lap, "Y/N! They're all dead! It's been 20 minutes and nobody has even stepped foot out of that door!"

"I don't care! Drag me if you have to but I'm not leaving!"

I flinched, a little surprised at my own stubbornness and determination.

Of course, Charlotte dragged me.

In desperation, I kicked, screamed and flailed like a crazy woman but her grip only tightened around my wrists. My energy was draining and I was growing weak, I could feel it. So, I just went limp, forcing her to drag me as if I was a dead body.

"God, you're like a child..."

"I am a child..." I muttered back.

"Ugh! Y/N! I'm trying to save your ass and you act like a damn 5 year old! Could you at least act grateful!?"

I scoffed in disbelief, "You expect me to feel grateful to someone who murdered my fucking grandma!? Are you insane!"

"You know what, this whole damn thing is insane! If I'm such a burden then LEAVE!" I continued, ripping my hands from her grasp.

"Good idea! I will leave! But if you get burnt or crushed alive in that building for some boy... don't even think coming back and crying your eyes on my lap again!"

She turned to leave, and I simply watched her, squinting my eyes in irritation.

The nerve of that woman.

Once she was a couple yards away, I started jogging, slowly, towards the hospital. Scanning the flame-filled windows for any sign of him. I was about 30 feet close when I really started to feel the heat of the fire. The smoke was strong. I could smell it as I edged closer, carefully. Suddenly, it filled my eyes and throat, practically choking me. My eyes watered and I coughed, loudly.

"SPIDER MAN!" I rasped, my voice cracking and breaking from the suffocating smoke.

Covering my nose and mouth with my forearm, I stepped towards the building, closer and closer. My eyes stung and tears fell down my face. Remembering what I'd been taught, I dropped on all fours on the ground, hoping to dodge most of the smoke. I was now about 15 feet away as I crawled. The heat was unbearable at this point. My on-all-fours method wasn't working, so I practically collapsed on the ground as the smoke filled my nose and throat. Even as I was on the verge of blacking out, I cried, realizing he may never come out.

Abrupt coughing and sputtering was heard. I tilted my head up as far as I could, with the little strength I still had.

It was him. Hunched over as he slowly stepped out of the building, coughing into his elbow. I sniffled, slowly stretching out my arm, reaching for him, since he didn't seem to notice I was even there. Sprawled out on the ground in front of him. 

But that's when I noticed. When my gaze landed on his face.

His mask was gone.

a/n: heyyy luvs hope u enjoyed this chapter and i apologize for any mistakes/typos. anyways byeee see u next chapter <3333333333