17.

i calmed down after a while and thanked calum before leaving the room quietly.

my mom needed psychiatric help. not only was she mentally unstable, but she has lied to me about abuse. that takes a lot of effort to keep from someone.

i opened my door and locked it again before sitting on my bed.

i must've drifted off to sleep because i woke up suddenly around 3 am in the morning.

i can't explain it, but i had a terrible feeling in my stomach and knew i needed to go check on mom.

i was mad at her, but not mad enough to not check on her.

i stood up and walked out of my room and over to mom's room and went to open the door.

it wasn't locked, which is weird in itself.

i opened the door slowly, but nothing could have prepared me for what i was about to see.

"m-mom?" i stuttered as i stared at her.

she was holding a knife to her throat and had letters scattered across the floor.

"hey baby. go back to bed. mom's going to be alright." she spoke sounding incredibly delirious.

"mom, put down the knife. you don't want to do this." i spoke softly as i slowly walked closer to her.

"oh baby, i'm sorry i failed you." she spoke with a chuckle as she hung her head low.

i must not have been as quiet as i thought i was because michael was by the door in seconds with ashton not far behind.

"babe, bailey, what are you doing?" michael whispered as he stepped forward.

"leave michael. i love you but leave. this is for my daughter to hear and see. i don't want you in here." mom spoke with a cold voice.

"absolutely not. i'm not going to let you do this, especially not in front of your daughter." michael spoke firmly as he stood his ground.

"i'm going to call 911." ashton threatened.

"good. do it. i left all her documentation on the bed. do what you want." mom spoke stiffly.

"no no! just stop this stupid shit please. i cant lose you mom." i spoke firmly as i took a lunge at her and grabbed the hand that was holding the knife and tossed it away.

"get the fuck off me charlotte!" mom yelled as she began to push me back.

i went flying backwards and straight into michael's arms.

ashton ran forward and grabbed the knife and held it behind his back.

"i'm calling the cops." he spoke simply as he left the room.

i quickly left michael's arms and went straight towards mom.

"don't give me up please. i love you. i need you, don't give me up." i whispered as i fell to my knees in front of her.

"i'm sorry charlotte. i just don't think i'm fit enough to be a part anymore." mom whispered.

i put my hands together and started to beg. i would never beg for anything in my life, but this was an exception.

"please. please don't give me up." i sobbed as i stared at the ground.

mom didn't say anything but hand michael the documents.

"i'm not fit to be a parent anymore. take care of her and if you don't want to her father will." mom sighed.

i moved to give her a hug. my last shot at getting her to change her mind.

she didn't even hug me back.

"i love you." i whispered as i let her go.

she wasn't even crying.

"i love you too charlotte. i'll be back soon." mom spoke with almost no emotion as she left the room.

michael stared at me sadly before speaking up, "it's up to you. i won't keep you from your dad." michael spoke softly.

"i can't focus on that now. can we go with my mom please. then i'll think about it." i whispered as i started to walk out of the door.

"of course."