9.

i moved charlotte up to a room and sat with her.

"do you know where your mother is?" i asked softly.

"job interview. i don't know where. just do the surgery. i don't want to die." charlotte whispered as tears entered her eyes.

god the love i felt for this child.

"i don't know if we can legally operate without your mother's consent." i replied slowly.

"who would know." she mumbled.

the chief.

"i'm going to call ash to come sit with you." i replied as i stood up.

"i don't need a baby sitter." charlotte shot at me.

"you do when you could pass out and flatline at any moment." i replied as i left the room.

i ran to go speak with the chief to see dr. mccolog already in the room.  

"oh michael perfect. dr. mccolog just informed me of a situation surrounding a minor who could face serious health consequences if she doesn't receive surgery, but her mom won't pick up?" the chief spoke slowly as he tried to piece together the whole situation.

"yes sir." dr. mccolog spoke back as he sat still.

"is it in your best interest to operate now or can we wait longer?" the chief asked.

"sir, in my professional opinion, it is in her best interest to operate right away. she has a brain bleed which is contained right now, but i don't know how long we can keep it contained." dr. mccolog spoke quickly.

"un- "sir! i'm sorry to interrupt, but a patient charlotte just coded in her room." a nurse spoke as she ran into the room.

i immediately got up and started sprinting to charlotte's room. it was too soon. she couldn't die.

we arrived to her room and ran into the room to see ashton preforming CPR.

"fuck mate what took you so long?" he yelled slightly out of breath.

"move back! charge at 300!" dr. mccolog yelled as he held the defibrillator.

it shocked her chest, but still no heart beat.

"come on charlotte." i whispered as i closed my eyes.

"again!" dr. mccolog yelled as he shocked her again.

her heart suddenly jumped back and dr. mccolog started unhooking her.

"we're moving to surgery now. move! prepare an operating room!" he yelled as he began to push charlottes bed out of her room.

i ran after the bed just to be stopped by ashton right before the operating room.

"no use of you being in there. keep trying to get in contact with bailey." ashton spoke sympathetically as he patted my back.

i sat down in the waiting room and grabbed my phone out.

perfect timing because bailey was calling me.

"hello? michael what's wrong? where's charlotte?" she spoke sounding worried.

"she's having emergency surgery for a brain bleed." i replied softly.

"no? no she was fine yesterday! hold on i'm coming." bailey spoke with a quiver to her voice as she hung up.

we needed to have a serious conversation.

almost 5 minutes later, bailey came running in and sat down.

"where is she? is she out? is she alive?" she spoke with tears streaming down her face.

even when she cried, she was beauitful.

"she's going to be okay. a nurse came out and told me the surgery was going smoothly. why in the hell did you discharge her against medical advice?" i spoke tiredly.

"what charlotte and i do doesn't concern you michael. just leave it. my daughters in surgery right now." bailey spoke slightly frustrated as she clenched her hair between her fingers.

5 hours passed as we sat there anxiously waiting for the news.

dr. mccolog came out with a relaxed facial expression.

"she should be good as new. she did amazing. she should be awake in the next 2-5 hours." he smiled softly.

"next time don't discharge my patient even if she asks you too against medical advice." he added as he walked off.

"can i go see her?" bailey whispered as she stood up.

i nodded stiffly and walked with her over to bailey's room.

we entered the room and bailey ran over to charlotte with tears in her eyes.

"princess i'm so sorry." she sighed as she grabbed her hand.

all i could do was stare at the woman i loved and her daughter in a hospital bed because of her mother's actions.