4.

charlotte's pov

i woke up the next morning super drained. my arm was killing me. i dragged myself out of bed and changed the dressing to my arm.

i braided my hair and put on a hoodie and leggings.

i walked downstairs and saw mom sitting at the table looking completely drained.

"mom are you okay?" i spoke softly as i stared at her.

"i couldn't sleep. i don't deserve to sleep. my own daughter is tired of me." mom whispered as she clenched her fists together.

"i'm not mom. i promise." i mumbled out as i sat beside her.

"lies! all fucking lies." mom shouted as she stood up.

i flinched back and fell away from the table landing on my hurt arm.

i hissed in pain as i backed away from her.

"no no baby i'm sorry. i would never hurt you." mom muttered as she shook her head.

maybe not physically.

i looked up at mom and saw her shaking violently.

"i'm calling michael." i mumbled as i grabbed my phone from my pocket.

before i could dial michael's number mom snatched my phone out of my hand and through it away from me.

"what the hell!" i yelled as i went to go grab it. the whole screen was cracked.

"n-no need to call michael baby. mommy's fine." mom stuttered as she shuffled upstairs.

i followed behind her closely.

before i could enter her room, mom slammed the door in my face and locked it.

"mom! mom let me in!" i yelled from the outside as i banged on her door.

"no! leave me alone." mom yelled back from behind the door.

i could hear her rummaging through her drawers.

"i'm going to call michael and tell him everything if you don't stop and let me in." i threatened as i pulled out my cracked phone again.

all of a sudden, there was a knock on the door.

i froze and i could hear mom freeze as well.

"someone's here." i whispered as mom cracked the door open.

i walked downstairs and opened the door and saw michael standing there.

"hey love, is your mom home?" he asked with a tiny smile.

"um yes, let me go get her for you." i mumbled as i left the door and went upstairs to mom's room.

"michael's here and wants to talk to you." i spoke with a blank expression.

"okay, go to your room. he didn't even tell me he was coming, so i bet it's personal." mom whispered as she pointed towards my door.

i listened and went to my room and locked the door. i started playing music through my headphones and drowned the world out.

michael's pov

i waited by the door for bailey to come downstairs.

i saw her coming out of the corner of my eye and smiled up at her. she was beautiful regardless of what she was wearing.

"hey baby." i smiled as i reached for her hand.

"hi love." she whispered as she grabbed my hand.

something was off.

i led her outside where we sat on the front porch.

"i'm just going to state this very simply and directly, but we have suspicion to believe that charlotte is self harming." i spoke slowly looking for any hint of emotion in her eyes.

all i saw was nervousness.

bailey immediately grabbed her sleeves and pulled them over her hands.

"it truly was an accident. she isn't self harming. if she was, i would know." she stated calmly.

"why are you so nervous?" i spoke softly.

"why are you interrogating me?" she shot back defensively.

there was definitely something going on.