Chapter 17: Confused Flings

Nate sighed as he stood outside of the wooden door. Who knew that his thoughts would lead him straight to the Humphrey loft. He told himself it was to talk some sense into Dan, but deep down, he knew it was to see Rufus. Nate knocked on the door softly, half hoping that no one would answer it. After a few seconds though, he heard the door's locks being pulled open. In a whirl, the door slid open to reveal Rufus Humphrey, hardly dressed and face flushed. Nate gasped at his disheveled appearance and turned to leave, but Rufus reached forward and gripped his arm.

"Nate, what are you doing here?" He asked seriously.

Nate tried to pull a casual smile, "I was uh here to see Dan. But he doesn't seem to be in so..."

Rufus nodded his head while giving Nate a tentative smile, "He should be home soon. Why don't you wait for him in the loft for a few minutes? There are some things we should obviously...discuss."

Nate's eyes widened with surprise, clearly not wanting to remember their night of romance at Chuck's party. His thoughts were overlooked though as he decided to go inside. The event hovered in his mind for the past few months, but now it was time to face it head on.

"Make yourself at home, I'll just go and clean myself up." Rufus called as he jogged to the bathroom. Nate tried not to notice his slipping damp towel that clung to his waist.

As he sat in the living room trying to gather his thoughts, Nate's phone gave a loud chime and vibrated in his coat pocket. He pulled it out and gasped at the waiting text.

"Nate...I really need a friend right now. Can we plz meet at the Golden Bridge Hotel? -BW"

He was about to delete the message when Rufus walked back out. His hair was still dripping water from the shower and his clothes were damp from moisture. "How about I brew some tea?" He asked enthusiastically.

Nate quickly stood up, feeling too much awkwardness between them to take it any longer.

"You know, something came up so I uh should really get going." He mumbled while backing away to the door. Rufus's expression changed and it seemed as if he had something to say, but he just nodded his head knowingly and escorted Nate to the door. He placed his palm on Nate's back and give him a reassuring pat. "Let's talk soon, ok?" Rufus said confidentially. Nate just shrugged and left the loft.

..........................................

Blair sobbed into her Egyptian cotton bed sheets, her saliva and tears making her face damp with moisture. Her hair felt more like a rat's nest then her usually soft, silky waves. Dorota stood at the entrance of her room, wearing a completely petrified look. She'd never seen Blair cry so openly and so loudly; it was an obvious portrayal of her true pain.

"Miss Waldorf, this isn't right!" Dorota asserted strongly. "Mr. Humphrey was a one night stand, nothing more!"

Blair sniffed inwardly and sat up on her king sized bed. Her eyes were swollen and her cheeks seemed hollowed out.

"It's not about Humphrey! It's about my life! Dorota, don't you see? I'll never get what I want and I'll always be living in Serena's shadows. There's too much drama, even for a girl like me."

She flopped back onto her bed with a sigh and stared up weakly at her crystal chandelier. What's a life worth living when you have no one to love?

A soft knock at the door startled Blair into a sitting position. She fumbled for her silk kimono and tried to wipe away the snot threatening to slide down her face.

Nate Archibald poked his head in, looking as handsome as ever with his dashing polo shirt and tailored jeans. His hair seemed ruffled in all the right places, and a slight hint of aftershave lingered on his sculpted jawline. Blair sniffled as she realized how hideous and disgusting she must look in comparison.

"Nate..." She said weakly, her bottom lip beginning to tremble again.

His eyes widened with sympathy as he ran to her side and grasped her hand.

"B please don't cry. I know you're hurt and these past few months have been hell...but you'll get past it ok? You always do."

His words were soothing and Blair began to recover her senses. She might not yet be the absolute queen of Manhattan, but she was certainly above the level of a crying, pitiable adolescent. A true dictator does NOT show her emotions.

Blair stretched her arms widely and pulled her mottled hair back into a low ponytail. She reached for the tissues on her glass nightstand and cleared her face up until she felt less stuffy and more dry. Nate cleared his throat and nodded his head towards Blair's chest. She looked down and noticed that her kimono had slipped half off and revealed her lace push up bra.

"Um...maybe can you give me a moment?" She asked tentatively.

Nate nodded and left the room silently, a slight smile forming on the corner of his lips. He hadn't seen Blair even close to naked since their time together as a couple at Constance. Who knew he'd still be attracted to her refined body?

In the room, Blair bit her lip self consciously as she inspected herself in the mirror. How the hell did Nate get even HOTTER? She thought ashamedly. They were broken up after all... Even still, Blair couldn't help the need of wanting to run her fingers of his smooth chest and chiseled jaw. A ball of lust formed into her chest as she sneakily readjusted her kimono to be a tad more revealing and pulled her hair out of the ponytail until it hung in loose waves over her shoulders. Nate Archibald might not be boyfriend material, but he was certainly fit to be a rebound.