chapter eighty-eight

Emriana

"Akira, I swear. You can't keep disappearing on me like that," I scolded him as we walked back to the house. He roared in defeat, trailing beside me.

I looked around at the open field. It was beautiful. I'd left to pick up some flowers early this morning for Dana's wedding this afternoon. I was over the moon when she told me Tom asked her hand in marriage. They were the cutest together.

I began to climb back up the hill that led to the house but had to make a few stops along the way. My growing stomach was definitely the source of my lack of strength. Akira somehow had known way before we did, and I just found it amazing that he could detect things like that.

I was relieved that his overprotectiveness had ceased a little because the first week was unbearable. I had to sleep alone in the bed because he wouldn't let the boys even touch me. They had insisted to sleep on the sofas.

"Okay, let's keep going," I started walking again, and the house came into view as I neared the top of the hill. I loved this house so much. It was everything I could've asked for. It felt like my old house, just us in the middle of pure silence, but it was also close enough that we could go to the kingdom easily if we needed.

I pushed the backdoor open, hushing the tiger inside before walking toward the living room with a groan. The same pain erupted in my lower back, something that had been frequent for the past week.

I turned the corner to be greeted by three grumpy men watching me come in.

"Where were you?" Drakkar asked, and my eyes dropped to his chiseled bare chest.

"Out in the field. I picked these," I motioned to the flowers as I placed the basket on the table before taking a seat next to Zander. He pulled me unto his lap, settling me sideways so I could face the two others.

"Dana doesn't need you to do this. She can get her own damn flowers," Zeke grumbled under his breath, and I chuckled.

"I know, but I wanted to do something nice," I rested my head under Zander's chin, feeling his heart beating slowly against my shoulder. "How did the meeting go?"

Zeke grinned. "You were right, princess. Droomi and Nelovia agreed on the treaty,"

"We should've done that sooner," Drakkar pointed out, and I hummed at his words.

"This is going to be far better for the merchants of Ekudal. Having this route is going to allow them to travel safely through each kingdom. It will reinforce the bonds between the kingdoms," I said, and Zander kissed my cheek.

I smiled when his hand trailed down to my stomach, and he slowly caressed it.

"General Droga told me you met with the south travelers yesterday, how did that go?" Zeke asked, and I smiled.

"Great. Thanks to your tips, it went really well. Once I mentioned the ball game, they became nice and friendly and listened well," I gently pressed my lips against Zander's neck.

"That's great," Zander replied.

"At what time do we have to be at the wedding?" Drakkar asked as he slid off the sofa across me and scooted toward my feet on the floor. He placed his hand next to Zander.

"In two hours," I replied, closing my eyes.

"How is the baby doing?" Zeke asked, placing his glass down and scooting closer to me.

"Good, I think," I readjusted myself, the baby pressing on my bladder.

"How long till he's finished?" I snorted a laugh at Zander's question.