chapter two

Emriana

"Aki!"

"Akira!"

"Akira! I said leave him alone!" I yelled at the tiger running through the open clearing after a red butterfly. I hated when he tried to kill them. They were so beautiful and innocent and didn't deserve his cruelty.

Sitting at my usual spot on my rock, not too far from the stream, I watched him play around. It was a hot late afternoon. The forest was humble, light, and blooming. Its canopy was contested by maple, elm, and poplar, who let through enough dancing beams of sunshine for disorderly herbs to make use of the thick layer of leaves below.

Swooping creepers dangled from the occasional tree, and a range of flowers, which were common to this area only, enriched the otherwise colorless forest floor. A discord of wild sounds, most of which were birds and insects, resonated through the warm air and were out of sync with the swaying of treetops in the wind.

Closing my eyes, I inhaled the relaxing, familiar scent of the forest as a smile of satisfaction covered my face. Even after all these years, I could never get enough of the peacefulness of the Astral Forest.

My mind wandered for a while before shifting to my parents, and I wondered where they were right now, what they were doing, or perhaps if they were on their way to find me. My fingers roamed along my neck until they came in contact with the most precious piece of jewelry I owned. It was a silver locket that belonged to my mother and the only thing I had from my parents.

The tip of my finger ran along the edge of it a few times, wondering how many times she had done the same thing when she wore it. It made me feel weirdly connected to them. I had always been curious about them, but I knew it was a sensitive subject to Grandma Roe, so I always refrained from asking. I regretted it now that she was gone. She was my only way to find out.

My eyes snapped open at the sound of growling.

"Geez!" I screamed as I was face to face with a gritting-teeth Akira. I frowned as he approached me slowly, crouching down a little as if trying to hide from something.

The next few seconds happened so quickly that I could only stare in surprise. I heard the shuffling sound of something against the rock behind me. As I turned around to see, Akira leaped toward me, jumping on the rock and releasing a ferocious roar that made me flinch.

My eyes widened as I took in the enormous snake lodged between his canine.

"Oh, dear!" The snake was spasming as it tried to free itself. Concerned took over my fear as I watched the snake try to bite the tiger. With a few trembling steps, I looked around for a stick, finding one just by the rock.

"Take that!" I hit the snake's head the hardest I could to at least make him dizzy. My plan seemed effective as the reptile fell limp between Akira's teeth. I released a breath I didn't know I had been holding and let the wooden stick fall into the grass.

"Are you okay, Aki?" I turned my attention to my friend to see him already watching me, head tilted to the side like usual. I chuckled as he released the snake, which fell on the ground with a thud before trotting cheerily toward me.

I kneeled before him and pressed a soft kiss on his head before ruffling his fur.

"Thank you," I smiled.

We walked back together as I talked about how I would probably would've die if it wasn't for him. He listened to my every word as usual as he walked at my side, glancing up at my face every now and then.

"I don't know. What do you think?"

"I know we can't stay here forever, but Grandma Roe also said how dangerous the Kingdom was," I was in full debate with myself.

I sighed as I saw the house ahead amongst the trees. Vines were now climbing the side of the structure, which I needed to take care of. I also needed to check the roof before the rainy season started. I also needed to work in the field to collect fresh wheat and vegetables. I needed to sheer the sheep and make some new clothes.

There was just so much to be done, and it felt overwhelming. It had been only two weeks since I was alone, and chores kept piling up, and I couldn't keep up with them. I needed help, but I didn't know anyone else.

"Why don't you go hunt Akira while I make dinner?" I said, my voice cracking a little. He looked into my eyes and tilted his head. I gave him the best smile I could muster.

"Hunt," I repeated, and he slowly turned around and walked out, not before turning to look at me one last time.

A tear slipped down my cheek as I let myself fall into the chair. I felt so alone right now.

It was just now really kicking in that I would be spending the rest of my life talking to a tiger. All the books I read about meeting somebody and falling in love with them were never going to be me. I could forget about having real friends. I'd never even had one in my eighteen years of life. I would have to content myself with one-way conversations for the rest of my life.

The solution seemed so simple; just go to Ekudal, but it was scary.

It would actually solve my other problem, which was that I was also running out of things I couldn't find in the forest. Like fabric for my clothes, tools for farming, and seeds for vegetables.

I also needed paint and new paintbrushes for my painting. I painted a lot. I was actually really good at it. I would paint whenever I had free time. I hadn't in two weeks, hadn't had time, and I missed it. Grandma Roe actually used to sell some of my work when she went to Ekudal, among other things. Maybe I could do the same with the ones I had lying around. It would be a way for me to make a bit to buy essentials.

If I went there for only a couple of days to sell some paintings and then came back, nothing could go wrong, right?

I stood up from my chair and walked around the room, looking at all the paintings piled against the wall. I selected a dozen and placed them by a door. A giddy feeling replaced my grim one as I started packing for the biggest adventure of my life.

I ran around the room, not knowing where to start. I hummed as I placed a few essentials in a small leather sack, including clothes and food.

I would be exploring the world and meeting new people. It was so exciting. I grabbed large pieces of fabric and wrapped them around my finished canvases before wrapping a rope around them to hold them in place.

"This is going to be so fun!" I ran out of the backyard toward the small wooden shed. I quickly took out the bridle, the saddle, the horse harness, and all the horse equipment I needed and brought them to the front of the house on the porch.

I tried to replicate what Grandma Roe did every time she prepared for her trip. I walked back inside the house and went to her closet to grab the two big saddle bags she would use.

"Ah, you scared me!" I yelled as I walked back to the kitchen, and Akira followed behind.

"You're here! It's perfect! I wanted to tell you that I'm leaving for a few days," I started, and his eyes followed me as I moved toward the kitchen.

"I won't be here, Aki. So don't worry about me," I continued, and he just followed me to the front porch, where I dropped all my things before glancing at my stuff. I ran a hand through my messy braid, feeling suddenly a little less excited about this.

I was going against my Grandma, and it felt wrong, but I knew I couldn't stay there forever. I don't think she expected me to, but the nerves were getting to me, and I bit my lips anxiously.

Soft fur rubbed my leg, and I looked at my best friend watching me. I sat down on the wooden floor, and he laid his head on my knees, and I played with his fur as I tried to wrap my mind around everything.

"We'll be okay, Aki," I said softly, bringing my hand behind his ear and scratching it. "I'll figure out everything, I promise."