chapter sixty-four

Emriana

What I feared arrived sooner than later. Zeke, Zander, and Drakkar became so busy in the next few days I barely saw them anymore. The transition between rulers was far more complicated than I assumed, and the number of meetings they needed to attend was exaggerated, in my opinion.

It gave me a sour taste of what my life would look like if I followed them to Ekudal and stayed with them. Spending my days either in my apartments or the artificial garden alone as I waited for the small opportunity to see them. It broke my heart as I realized I would need to make a choice.

To make matters worst, I had overheard them last night discussing when they thought I was asleep. They said they would need to leave the day after tomorrow for Ekudal as there was currently no ruler, and the kingdom needed them. They had been away from their duties for too long, and I knew they couldn't keep this up. I hadn't truly realized the extent of what I was putting myself into as I realized how impossible this situation was becoming.

Akira was almost recovered. He would follow me around like before, although I noticed he didn't move as fast. After what he had gone through, I felt like I owed him to go back to our house where he could be his true self. Although he seemed happy here, I knew he would rather have dirt, rocks, and grass under his paws than marble floors. I knew he wasn't getting younger, and I didn't want him to spend his final years pampered in a castle.

That's what I was thinking about as I watched the garden, sitting on a marble bench. Akira was napping in my room, and I didn't want to disturb him. He needed the rest. My feet swung under the bench as I stared at the trees and the grass. A tear escaped my eyes, but I wiped it away quickly, sniffling.

My father appeared in my line of vision, his face filled with concern as he looked at me. He lowered himself next to me.

"What's wrong, Emmy?" He asked, turning his head to look at me while I looked down instead.

"I don't know what to do," my voice cracked, revealing my distress.

"About them?" I nodded, knowing who he was referring to.

"It's either I go back to my home to the place I love and live the life I always wanted, or be miserable in a castle with the men I love," I had never actually said the L word, except when I almost died with Drakkar, but I knew I loved them.

"Have you talked to them about it?" I shook my head, sniffling more.

"I don't want to burden them with this. They're so busy and stressed all the time, I don't want to add to that," I explained, my voice cracking more as I speak.

"How you feel isn't a burden. They should know how you're feeling. You never know; they might be thinking the same thing you are," he said, and I nodded. I was hesitant to tell him what was also occupying my mind.

"Love is hard and complicated sometimes, but trust me...It's worth it in the end," he smiled at me. I don't know how I would've been able to deal with all this if it wasn't for my father being there for me. He was so supportive of me and always ready to help.

"What would you do if you were me?" I asked, and he sighed.

"I would follow my heart," I raised a brow at the cheesy answer, and he laughed.

"I'm serious. Deep down, you already know what you want. You only need to own up to it and make it happen," I nodded. He was right.

"Oh, speaking of the devils, here they are," I turned to see Drakkar, Zander, and Zeke walking toward us. They wore their casual royal attire, all black and molded to their body like a second skin. They looked so handsome, my heart was going to fall out of my chest.