chapter forty-eight

Emriana

I walked over to the window and glanced at the view. The sun was at its peak, and there were no clouds in the sky. The people moved quickly between the busy streets looking like little ants from where I was watching.

I left the window and walked over to the large wooden executive desk that faced the door instead of the window. I found the choice odd as I would much rather be facing the nice view whilst working. I could barely see the desk as piles of paper, from letters to maps of different kingdoms, were stacked up.

A shuffling side had me turn my head to the right, and I gasped.

"Akira, don't eat that," I ran over to him as he was about to take a bite out of a plant. He groaned before venturing in the other direction. I sighed as I walked over to the large brown sofa I had been sitting on for a while. I didn't know when he was supposed to be here, but it was starting to take a long time.

I released another sigh as I let myself fall against the seat. My fingers played with the edge of the cushion while I looked around more. The room had a solemn look, looking very neat but cold. The different medals hung on the wall to various kinds of swords were ugly to my taste, I liked paintings and flowers much better. There was even the head of a dead deer hanging on the opposite wall, which I screamed at when I first came in.

"Akira, come here," I called the tiger, who was pacing around the room. He looked like he was getting a little sick of waiting too. 

"Sit next to me if you want," I patted the spot on the large sofa, and he slowly climbed up before settling his head over my lap. My hands moved into his pale striped fur, and I caressed him softly as I looked around some more.

Akira raised his head from my lap abruptly and scrutinized the door. A few seconds later, the door opened, and Cassemir walked in with a smile. Akira returned to his previous position, not deeming the man fascinating enough.

"I'm sorry to have kept you waiting. These advisers were not letting me leave," he chuckled as he took a seat across from me.

"It's fine," I said, even if it wasn't totally correct. I knew if Zander could be here, he would probably be like, no, it's not, and would glare at him like Cassemir as if he had killed a family of squirrels. I watched my father take curious glances at the animal next to me.

"How are you not scared?" He asked, and I smiled.

"Why would I be? He never hurt me once and has never given me a reason to believe he would. He's the nicest," I placed a soft kiss on the top of his head, and he nuzzled closer to my body, warming my heart. I still couldn't believe he was here.

"Can I touch him?" He asked, a hand reaching behind his neck as if he was embarrassed. It was my turn to laugh as I gave him a nod. He rose to his feet and slowly walked toward us. I saw the hint of nervousness in his eyes as he approached the animal.

"Just go slowly," I took his hand and placed it on Akira's back. His hand was hesitant at first, but after a few pats, he seemed to calm down.

"He's so soft," I nodded, observing Akira's facial expression for hints of  displeasure. I might be sure he wouldn't hurt me, but I couldn't promise that to everyone else.

"You should've seen him when he was younger. It was like touching a cloud."

"Emriana, you never fail to amaze me." His words made the smile on my face brighter. He gave him a few more caresses before returning to his seat. He reached for the small table separating us and poured himself a glass of a light brown liquid. It looked a lot like the one Zeke was always drinking. Whisky, was it?