chapter twenty-eight

Drakkar

TW: Graphic torture scene ahead

Earlier that day...

Heavy silence filled the hallway as I made my way toward the Master Office. I narrowed my eyes at the pathetic little guards that trembled as I passed them. I pushed the doors open, not bothering to wait for the guards to do it. Zeke and Zander sat in the lounging section on the black leather sofas.

Zeke was staring into space, his bruised hands holding onto his glass of whisky. The side of his face was swollen, but it was better than last night. Zander was reading something but placed it down when he noticed my presence.

I joined them as I sat on the sofa across from them.

"Wow, that took a while," Zeke smirked, despite his state.

I was about to say something when a few advisers walked into the room with Droga. They began the meeting right away.

"We found five more this morning who corresponded to the descriptions given by us by the previous prisoner. They were hiding in a small cabin by the borders of Nelovia. They were accompanied by two of their wives, who we brought back as his Majesty wished. We are waiting for your next instructions regarding what to do with them," General Droga explained to us as he gestured to the cabin's exact location on the map on the marble table.

"Were they the last one?" Zander grunted as he ran a hand through his hair. We all knew why he was asking the question. Our father, the King, wasn't happy with how slow this operation went. He assumed that we only needed a week to find all the remaining survivors. It had been three fucking weeks...

There shouldn't be anyone left. According to our intel, there were formerly thirty people in the rebellion against the King. The King had ordered that all the group members be executed, but a few seemed to have survived. He had not considered that most of them had descendants, kids of their own, who had survived.

After getting an anonymous letter from a "new" rebellion two months ago, we realized that their children had formed a new alliance and were coming after the King to avenge their parents and continue what they had started. My father then gave us the task of getting rid of this group which found itself harder than anticipated as they were scattered all around the kingdom.

Some were plotting revenge by themselves while others were grouped together, making this more difficult for us as they were not all aware of the existence of each other. So, we were stuck in this continuous loop where we found one, tortured him into giving us the name of another one, and found him and started the same process again.

The most frustrating part is we didn't know how many were left. It could be fifty or six. There was no way of knowing, and this was the main cause of the King's rage. That's why today when they found five at once, my brothers and I hoped they would be the last.

"We don't know, we interrogated them, but they refused to answer any questions," he added.

"What would your Highnesses like me to do with them?" He added as he regained a straight posture.

"Bring them over. We'll get answers," I told him, and he bowed before making his exit accompanied by a guard.

General Droga was one of the few people that my brothers and I could tolerate. He was one of my Father's most trusted men, very loyal to our family ever since he came. He had managed to become my father's right hand. I knew if we told him to do something, he would get the job done. He was at the King's side when the rebellion stroked, which is why he was very invested in this mission and took it to heart to find all of them.