chapter fifty-three

Emriana

Initially, I thought the reception would last only an hour or two. I was quickly proven wrong as I watched everyone still talk amongst each other four hours later. My feet hurt from dancing with Zeke a few hours ago, so I decided to sit on the step of the grand staircase.

The men discussed matters I couldn't care less about while women talked in hushed voices in little groups. I noticed how their stares lingered on the triplets, eyeing them like dessert before whispering something while giggling.

Zeke joined his brothers a while back as they got into a heated discussion about some shared borders. He seemed back to his "prince self" as he glared at the officers with irritation, and I wondered if his sudden announcement of "I don't care anymore" was genuine or not.

I had caught Zander looking my way every now and then, but each time he saw me glancing, he would turn his head and pretend he wasn't looking. He seemed evasive today, and I hated thinking he was upset with me. I knew I had pushed it too far the other day. I shouldn't have talked about their father.

"Hey," I looked to my left to see Lorino's fiancé lowering herself on the step next to me. Her red dress flopped on the stairs around her.

"Hi," I replied.

"We never met officially, did we?" She laughed as she turned her head to me, and I smiled.

"That's true. I never got your name," she smiled at me.

"I'm Kara," I nodded at her name. We spent the next few minutes in silence as I watched the people.

I didn't understand how all these people could speak for so long with each other when the subjects were so uninteresting.

The triplets seemed in their element. Zander, Drakkar, and Zeke radiated power and authority that made whoever conversed with them a little on edge. Everyone seemed wary of the three men, their voices shaking as they spoke.

"How are you holding up?" Kara spoke, and I turned my attention away from the boys.

"Good...I mean, everyone's been so nice and welcoming," I replied, and she nodded.

"I know. When I first arrived at the castle with Lorino, I couldn't believe how nice the workers were," I nodded, knowing what she meant.

"They have been making this new life a little easier," I admitted, and she sighed.

"Do you want it?" She asked suddenly.

"Huh?"

"Do you want this life? To be the Queen of Nelovia?" I knew she meant to be nice, but I could hear the sour tone when she called me the Queen. I couldn't blame her, she always thought the position would be hers. The painter girl she helped in the hallway turned out to become her Queen couldn't be an easy pill to swallow. 

I sighed again. "To be honest, no."

She looked surprised at my answer, probably not expecting me to say it so directly. My hands caressed Akira as she stared at me.

"Why?" She asked, and I smiled at her.

"I don't have a bone in my body that wants to rule a kingdom. I already have plans for my future, and I don't know how I feel about giving it up." I didn't tell her how those plans were becoming uncertain as my attachment to the three men grew each day.

She stayed silent for a moment, processing what I had just said.

"You'd be a good Queen," I added, and her face flushed a little at my words.