chapter twenty-six

Emriana

I didn't see either of them the following day. I was so curious about who "he" was. Why did Zeke look so afraid when Drakkar said that? These questions occupied my mind the entire day as I painted the mural with Dana.

I hadn't talked to her about them yet for some reason. Maybe it was because I was having a hard time figuring out why I felt this way when I was around them. I felt weird and sort of ashamed to be feeling that for three different men, worst, three brothers. What would she think of me if she knew?

The day went by fairly quickly, and I tried to see if I could spot one of them whenever I walked down the hallways, but it was like they had vanished. I had totally forgotten about the gathering the painters had planned tonight, and if I was being honest, I didn't really feel like going.

"What about this one?" I looked at the orange dress Dana held in front of me.

"It looks good," I commented, and she rolled her eyes.

"You've said that for the last three dresses, Emri. I need your full attention. This is of the highest matter," she said dramatically.

"Sorry," I smiled.

"No time for that. Tell me which one you like the most," she said, and I looked at the three dresses on her bed.

"The green one was pretty," I said, and she grinned.

"That's the one I wanted too," she shrieked, yanking it off the bed and going into her closet. I watched her with amusement.

"What about you? What are you going to wear?" She called from her closet.

"I don't know. Probably the same thing I'm wearing now."

The loud gasp from the closet told me this was the wrong answer.

"Emriana, you can't possibly wear a dress covered in paint tonight," she said, and I shrugged.

"I could lend you one if you want," she offered.

"No, it's fine. I'll just pick one of mine," I said, grabbing my light blue one.

I changed quickly, Dana insisting we had to get there early to get good seats. I didn't even know where we were going. I just followed. I wondered if Drakkar, Zander, and Zeke would be there too. I redid my braid, flatting out all the crazy hair before joining Dana at the door.

Jareth and Gathar were waiting for us at the entrance of the female wing.

"You girls look great. Let's go," Jareth smiled before the four of us began to head toward the castle entrance. We showed them our seals, and they let us pass. I noticed they weren't always doing it for some reason. I remembered they hadn't done it when I was with Drakkar, Zeke, and Zander.

We walked down the steps and entered the surprisingly busy streets. I hadn't expected to see so many people at this late hour of the evening. I glanced toward the street Drakkar, and I had explored the other day.

"Why are you smiling?" I looked at Dana, watching me.

"Oh, nothing," I brushed it off. I stayed a bit behind as Jareth and Dana got into a heated conversation about the best musician performing tonight. I knew none of them, so I just stayed quiet. I noticed Gathar would gaze back at me now and then as if he wanted to make sure I was still there. I found it sweet.

Akira walked next to me, following my pace. I was proud of him. He was getting used to this a lot faster than I would've thought.

"Here we are," Dana turned to tell me just as a tall skinny guy wearing a loose grey undershirt walked up to us. Music erupted from the building behind him, and I noticed the number of people coming in and out through the narrow entrance. I felt a pit in my stomach as I suddenly became nervous.