chapter thirty-seven

Emriana

Two months later...

"No, we have the vegetable one with peas and the one with meat and carrots today,"

"What do you want Jeryio?" The man asked his son. The little boy tugged at his sleeve and he lowered his head so he could get closer. I could hear him whisper, but I was too far. The man smiled as he looked back at Gretta.

"I'll take the one with the meat. We gotta make sure the bones are strong, right?" He smiled as he tickled his son who giggled as he hid in embarrassment against the side of his father.

"Emriana, can you get it?" Gretta asked me.

"Sure, I'll be right back sir," I turned around and walked into the back behind the little orange and green curtains. I headed to the left, where the huge cooking pots were aligned. I walked straight for the one on the farthest right, knowing it was the one with the meat and carrots.

I reached for a baby blue ceramic bowl on the shelf above and carefully poured the soup with the wooden ladle. The sweet smell invaded my nostril, and I smiled as I walk back with carefulness. I remember when I had started working here, I wasn't watching where I was going and tripped on a raised ceramic tile. The small scar on my right forearm was a good reminder.

I walked back to the front, walking around the counter to where the man and his son had sat down. They hadn't noticed me yet, too engrossed in whatever little toy the boy was playing with.

"Here you go, sir," his shoulder jumped a little at the sound of my voice, and he turned his head my way.

"Ah thank you, what do we say Jeryio huh?" The boy's face became beet red as he hid his face in the arm of his father. I smiled at them. The man chuckled a little at his son's reaction.

I lowered the soup in front of them.

"It's okay, don't worry, enjoy," with that, I left them alone and walked to the counter where a grinning Gretta was waiting for me.

"What?" I asked with a raised brow. She chuckled.

"Nothing darling, nothing," I rolled my eyes and laughed as I reached for a towel and dried my hands.

"We should start cleaning soon. The sun is almost over the mountain," I glanced through the windows and watched the faint mountains afar. The sun was almost touching them, and that meant the end of the day for us. My legs were getting tired.

"Okay, I'll start with the cleaning," I ducked under the counter and grabbed the little bottle of soap.

"You should start by writing tomorrow's menu. The clients are loving the drawings," my cheeks heated a little at the compliment as I nodded. I grabbed the small piece of charcoal  in the bowl and walked to the front door sending a little wave to the little boy who happily ate. He blushed and looked away, and I laughed.

Grabbing the hanging sign, I grabbed the dirty towel in my apron and used it to wipe today's menu, and then I slowly wrote the new one. I added a few details around the letters and drew a few flowers on the outlines.

The sound of cutlery clicking together dragged my attention, and I glanced as Gretta gathered the dirty dishes from the tables.

I looked back at my work, satisfy, before hanging it back up. I then joined Gretta in cleaning. Swooping the entire building before helping her wash the dishes. A few minutes later, the little chime of the door indicated that the man had left with his son.

An hour later, the sun was down, and the darkness was slowly swallowing the last bit of light. The sky was a beautiful light pink and yellow. I finished wiping the last spoon and placed it with the others.