chapter eighty-two

Zander

"I suggest we go through with the original plan. The treaty will likely not be accepted by the King anyway. Who agrees with me?" A series of low approval resonated through the large office. 

"No, I think the opposite. Their Highnesses have built a connection with the King during their stay, this could change everything," another adviser insinuated.

This meeting had been going on for hours. This was something the late King was working on before he died. He was planning an attack on the west village of Nelovia to take control of the trade route that went up north.

"I don't think a mere visit is enough to change decades of hate between two kingdoms," the short, brown-haired older man interjected. He'd been by my father's side long before we'd started being involved with politics.

I threw a bored glance at my brothers, almost chucking when I saw their expressions. Zeke was hardly keeping his head up, his eyelids barely open as he struggled not to fall asleep. The half-empty whiskey glass by his side was definitively not helping him.

On the other hand, Drakkar was following the meeting with an undying focus, glaring harshly at the advisers if they as much as said anything remotely related to Emriana. I was lightly pricking my thumb with the edge of my dagger, watching the dark crimson liquid roll down my skin with a morbid fascination.

"I don't think this was a mere visit. Both the Queen of Nelovia and Ekudal are now in what we could almost call as good terms," a younger adviser added to the discussion, and the older members of the council frowned, clearly unsure whether to believe him. I listened to them argue back and forth with a bored expression.

"The tension between our two kingdoms has been going on for longer than you've been alive. I suggest you refrain yourself from voicing your unnecessary speculation," the older council member replied, a deep frown on his features.

"I think we shouldn't be so eager to resolve to drastic measure. It won't look good for Ekudal if we attack Nelovia, especially considering the recent change of events," the older members glared at General Droga as he stood up.

"What change of events? Are you talking about the newly found princess of Nelovia?" Drakkar tensed beside me, his hold on the handle of the dagger tightening.

"Of course, he is. She changes everything," a few advisers showed they agreed with the brown-haired boy with a series of nods.

"How exactly?" The oldest member, one of my father's favorites, spat harshly, clearly not liking the direction of this council meeting.

I could feel the tension rising in the room as Drakkar and Zeke stayed on alert at the sensitive subject. I just hoped that whoever would speak next would realize that every word they said could decide whether they would die before sunset.

"Her Highness, Princess Emriana has been getting close with their Highnesses in the past recent months. Clearly, we cannot de—

"None of it is serious. We shouldn't base such important matters on this casual escapade that's been going on between them and he—

The word had not fully left his mouth when a dagger flew across the long wooden table and entered his chest with force. The room fell deadly silent, all eyes trailing back to the owner of the dagger.

"Oops," Zeke chuckled. My hand clenched and unclenched around the dagger in my hand, ready to of the same thing. My jaw was ticking in anger, while Drakkar's whole demeanor was screaming danger as his shoulder moved up and down quickly as he tried to calm himself down.

"If any of you," I spoke dangerously slow as I paused my words, meeting everyone's eyes. "Have the same opinion, I dare you to fucking speak now,"

They bowed their heads toward the table, all keeping quiet. Zeke scoffed, gulping the remaining liquid in his glass, before putting it back down with a loud high-pitch thud making all the men flinch in the room.