Chapter 16: Missing You

Începe de la început

"I love you dad." Markell hugged his father

Kenneth smiled, "I love you too MK the Great."

He hugged his son and kissed his forehead before letting him go.

"Come on, you and De'Shawn can help me prep my grill for that chicken your mama seasoning for dinner." He started to make his way back to the house

Markell nodded his head excitedly following after his dad. He loved spending time with his father no matter what they were doing, just being in his dad's presence made his day. Markell already knew that when he got older he wanted to be just like his dad, hardworking, honest, respectful, respected, and most importantly a great father to his future kids. To Markell, Kenneth was more than just his father, he was his idol.

________________________________________________________________________________

Kenneth Cole Robinson

September 4th, 1975-April 20th, 2009

Loving father of 2. Devoted Husband. Dedicated Police officer.

Markell wiped away the few stray tears that fell from his eyes as he stared intently at his fathers grave. It had been thirteen years since he passed away but the pain he felt today had him feeling as if his father passed yesterday.

"Happy birthday pops." He said quietly as he wiped the dirt off his tombstone

"You 47 today, you getting up there old man." Markell smirked

It was September 4th, Kenneth's birthday and Markell made it a priority to come visit him today as he did every year for his fathers birthday. It was a little past 8 in the morning and although it wasn't exactly fall yet, the city had a cool breeze. Not too cold and not too hot, right in the middle. Markell looked up at the sky as the sun shined directly on him.

"I see you pops, I feel you." Markell smiled as he looked back down at his fathers grave, "I miss you."

He kneeled down and placed the fresh poinsettia flowers on his grave. Every year on his fathers birthday, Markells mother Angela sent flowers with Markell to place on his fathers grave. This year was no different.

"You got me out here doing this life shit by myself man. I don't know whether I'm coming or going some days. I keep going though, I never give up. You taught me that." Markell smiled, "I just hope you not too disappointed in me about the NBA, I wanted that shit so badly and I know you wanted it for me too. I feel like I let you down pops, I'll never forgive myself for that."

Markell sighed heavily as fresh tears slid down his face. He hardly ever vented or showed emotions when it came to his failed basketball dream or the death of his father, he kept those feelings bottled up. Nevertheless, he knew he could always be vulnerable with his father, dead or alive.

"You just left us too soon. Me, mama, and De'Shawn. God took you way too soon. A heart attack? Who would've thought." He shook his head as he thought back to the day his father left the world

"Shit is fucked up but I can't change it." He continued on, "I love you pops, keep watching over us. I'll catch up with you later." He kissed his two index fingers and touched his fathers tombstone before standing up and looking over his grave one last time

As Markell walked to his car, his phone started to ring. He grabbed it out of his pocket to see that he had an incoming FaceTime call from his younger brother De'Shawn. Markell quickly wiped his face and smiled before sliding his finger across the screen to answer the call as he got into his car. A few seconds later De'Shawn appeared on the screen as Markell started his car.