November 6th '58

The next morning I woke up in Jessie's bed, startled. "Don't worry, you didn't snore." She chuckled as she saw the expression on my face. She was putting on her shirt and I couldn't help but notice a large scar on her side. "Get ready, we can't be late for the ceremony." she said.

"Oh right. You're becoming our new leader."

"Nah, not me."

"Who ?" I asked, getting off the bed.

***

We came out of the room and saw Tyrell and Tanisha sitting at the dinner table.

"Did ms. Davis go out ?" asked Jessie.

"She's still in her room. Dad's car still hasn't come back." answered Tyrell. Tanisha stood up and went to the door.

"Let's go ?"

"Yuh." answered JJ and I simultaneously. We took the car and drove to the Silver's house.

"As you all know the Silvers and Rox used to be part of one gang." JJ began to speak. The crowd was small. There was only Aneesa, Isabel, Nate, Asad, Tyrell, Kyle, around 16 others and I.

"We.. ruled over the latitude of Naire until Sniper did the unthinkable and killed his own Leader, our Leader. He wanted to rule all of Naire. We fought and many lost their lives or fled the city. The group divided itself but most of them stayed with Sniper as he has connections with the leaders of this oligarchy of this town. The Silvers Gang was then built. We rule the South side, they lurk in the North side. Ace was once our Leader, then...then Draco. She paused. As her eyes laid on her members, she took a deep breath before proceeding. "I hereby declare Tanisha Davis as the new Leader of the Silvers Gang." She turns to Tanisha and holds her hand firmly. "Do you, Sha, accept this responsibility ?"

"Wait, we can't continue." interrupts Nate, forming a stop sign with his hands.

"What's wrong ?" asks Kyle, speaking softly.

"Pops... Cash is not here." Continues Nate as he looks around him. All eyes revert back to JJ. She shakes her head as she looks down at her feet.

"Nate..." Tanisha understood the pity underlying JJ's reaction. All she could do was look at Nate as sadness clouded her features. Aneesa's head tilted as she attempted to comprehend the situation.

"Y'all just can't abandon him, when he's at his lowest like that !" Continued Nate. His fists started to clench while his eyes narrowed as he analyzed everyone close by. " He would never abandon you guys !" He snaps sprinting away. Tyrell shortly glanced at his sister before going after him inside the house.

"Klaewkla !" called out Isabel while she attempted to grab onto his wrists in vain.

"Let's get this over with." sighed JJ.

Tanisha lifts her right hand up and takes an oath. "I, Sha, swear to protect my people, my family, my crew by accepting this responsibility and to be a trustworthy leader."

"Who do you wish to be your right arm, Sha ?" asks JJ.

She looks around before her eyes stop in front of one person.. "My right arm will be Asad Daoudi." she declared.

"Stand tall ! Respect our new Leader, Sha !" Applauses were heard and our new leader, Sha, paid her respect to her crew.

"Should we follow them inside ?" asked Kyle, referring to the two youngest.

"Klaewkla is with Tyrell. They don't need us." remarked Isabel, faintly moving her head sideways.

Asad began to speak. "There's no way Cash would..."

"Die ?! Oh I god hope not !" Aneesa covered her mouth with her two hands.

"No, not die." reassured Asad.

"Leave ? He's unpredictable." I admitted. We each came to that realization. We were never able to tell what that man thought. All of our heads aside from Kyle's, hung low.

"C'mon you guys...He's Nate's father...There's no way he could ever abandon him. Right ? We're being dumb to even think that. C'mon y'all. Stop with those faces." We stayed quiet, avoiding his eyes. "Asad, you're the smart one here. Bring some sense into them."

"Kyle..." spoke Izzy, softly.

"Iz not you too !"

"Please just shut up." Tears shimmered in her eyes as she looked back up to Kyle.

"Be fucking for real." Kyle shook his head and dashed inside. The atmosphere was practically as heavy as it was during the funeral. It was as if we had lost another member.

A bit further away, JJ and Sha were talking in private. As I can recall, their conversation didn't seem more joyful than ours.

"It hasn't even been one day... I don't think I can do it, Jessie."

"Yes you can."

"Why not you ? You have way more experience than me."

"I can't lead a group, Tanisha. I just can't..." Her pupils were shaking as she confessed. She held onto Tanisha's hand. "I'm sorry... I'm so sorry I can't be like them."

"Why did Cash leave us like that ?" Tanisha sobbed.