A Call

On the car ride back, Tanisha was silent. I took glimpses at her yet every time her eyes were focused on the road. We got home and she still hadn't said a word. "You're not speaking to me ?" I finally got the courage to ask.

"I already wasted my voice on you." She answered with annoyance. "What more can I say ?" She looked at me. "Is there something you want to hear from me ?"

"No." I mumbled.

"Then why ask !" She snapped. "You defended your boyfriend as if he was unable to do so. Yes, maybe Asad is scary, but to defend him like that is nonsense. Do you even know why you acted that way ?" She stared at me for a response. "I bet you don't. You disrespected your Leader's orders-."

"I'm sorry."

"And almost started a fight with my right hand."

"There you go again bringing him up."

"He's your superior," she reminded. I sighed. "I get it. You love Xavier but don't be blinded by love, it won't get you far, Tamika. This part I'm saying as your sister." She concluded calmly.

"Is everything okay ?" Jessie walked into the living room. I looked down and Sha turned towards her."What's happening ?"

"Izzy has been taken into custody for suspicion of murder." she explained.

"What..."

"Yeah, apparently she killed a guy named Harry Griffiths." Jessie covered her mouth. "You know him ?"

"No. Poor man."

"I swear I heard that name somewhere..." I mumbled to myself. Sha sighed and went into her room.

* * *

The next day, Jessie came with Sha and I to the crib. Each Silver is walking on eggshells waiting for a miracle call. A call that will say that it was all a big misunderstanding. That Izzy will be home soon. As if the phone could read our minds, it started to ring. Kyle rushed towards it and answered. His pupils were shaking as his eyes stared at the floor. His face went blank as he hung up the phone. "Who was it ?" asks Asad.

"What'd they say ?" Nate added.

"The hospital..."

"What ? She's at the hospital !-"

"How could she end up there ?" I ask.

Tanisha pulls out her car keys."We need to go see her-"

"Diego stopped breathing." interrupts Kyle. His eyes finally look up to us.

"Diego ? Who is that ?" asked Xav. No one bothers answering him. We're too immersed in our thoughts. We were too much in shock. He whispers my name and I slowly raise my gaze to look at him. "Who is he ?"

"He used to be part of us." I say softly with watery eyes. He places his arm around me and pulls me against his side.

"Not him..." weeps Jessie. She covers her mouth with her hand. Sha cries in Asad's arms

"Fuck man...no !" Nate holds his hand above his face. Aneesa gets closer to him before wrapping her arms around him.

"Let's go see him." Whispers Asda to Tanisha. She nods. He takes the keys from her hand and directs himself towards the door.

"Where are y'all going ?" I ask, inching towards them.

"Whoever wants to come with us to the hospital, come now." instructed Asad. Nate wiped away his tears and came forward.

"I'll stay...You know, in case..." Kyle stammered. Neesa gave him a saddened smile before joining her brother.

"You're not coming Jess ?"

"I don't...I don't think I'll be able to see him again..."

I gestured to my boyfriend to come but he just shook his head. "Xavier." I said.

"He doesn't need to come, he doesn't know him." Nate commented.

"Nate !"

"Am I wrong though? Didn't he just ask who that was ? He doesn't need to come."

"Tanisha." I looked at her waiting for a remark.

She opened the door and took a step out. "We're leaving in 5 minutes. We're taking the van." She announced. She left and so did Asad and Nate.

"You don't think he should come ?" I asked Aneesa.

"I really don't care right now. I just want to see him." She walked out the door.

"Xav, let's go."

"Go on without me. Nate is right. I don't know him. There's no reason I'd go. You can go, you don't have to stay here for me." He said. I turned my head towards the open door and then looked back at him. I closed the door and went back to him.

Isabel didn't come home that day. She wasn't even released that week. We couldn't find a way to free her and so, her court date was soon to be announced.