July 17 '52 | 1

July 17th. I'll never forget this date. That day our lives changed forever. I realized my life wasn't going to be like Annie's so I, Belladonna, decided to run away from the orphanage. Not alone of course but with my two closest friends, Keshawn and Renee. We were young back then. Keshawn and I were 10, while Renee was 11, not to state the obvious but we didn't really know where we were going.  After managing to escape the orphanage, my friends and I wandered around the city, knocking on doors hoping someone would let us in. We'd drink wherever liquid was, we even stole from strangers and stores so that we wouldn't go extinct. That only lasted eight days but damn it felt like more. We ended up on the west side of the city and were sitting on the dirty hard ground of an alley starving thinking it'd be the end for us.

"Do we have any more food?" I asked, looking at the oldest in our group. Not only did I wish for food and water but I also wished I had shea butter. My black skin had never looked so ashy.

"We don't have anything left, Belladonna." Renee shook her head. Our eyes shifted to Keshawn. His eyes had circles under them from the lack of sleep and nutrition. I remember his exhausted expression like it was yesterday.

"Is it the end for us ?" he asked.

Renee moved closer to him and held his hands. He really looked like a baby next to her. Renee was only 11 years old but she was already 1,60m (5'3ft) while Shawn was 1,37m (4'6ft) and I was 1,44m (4'9ft).

"No, no it's not Shawn. We're going to survive, like we always do." Hearing her voice made me cry. My immaturity landed us here.

"It's my fault we're here. I'm sorry Keshawn, I'm sorry Renee." Renee hugs us both tightly. She was so strong for us, I can never thank her enough for that. She finally lets us go and wipes the tears from my face.

"Everything's gonna be fine. Bella, stay close to Shawn, I'll go find us something to eat."

"But-" argues Keshawn.

"I heard some noise close to here. I'll go check it out, okay ?"

"There was no noise, Renee."

"Just stay here for me. I'll come back." Renee walked away from us and left for the right side of the street where we lost sight of her. I didn't want to admit it but she was right. I also heard some noise a few seconds ago, I just didn't want her to leave. To this day I still don't know if it was right to let her go like that.

After a few minutes, we hear some shootings, screams and people running afraid. A group of 10 people enters the alley and walks past us. Some have guns, some have knives and some have brass knuckles. Shawn gets closer to me. I hold him tight trying to make us smaller in front of those people.

"Aha ! I bet those bitches didn't see that coming !" says one of the men.

"Boi what'd I tell you about calling them bitches ?" says a woman.

"Shawty you know what I mean."

" Cash, Sky is right. Stop calling them bitches, pussies fits them better."

"I swear I will hurt you one day, Ace." says Sky.

" I think you need to speak up, we can't hear ya from our level." adds another man referring to the height difference between them and Sky.

"Wave. Run." Cash says. The man runs away and Sky runs after him. The rest of the group continues to walk while laughing. One of the younger men stops after seeing us. He gets closer to us with a warm smile.

"Hey." he says. I nod. "Can you two walk ?" he continues. The rest of the troupe left besides one man who came back.

"Ayo, Draco ! Whatchu doin man ?" he says.

"We can't leave those kids alone like that, Cix.." The sirens get louder. The other man's face gets more annoyed.

"We already got strays at the crib, let's move." Draco keeps his eyes on us.

"They'll stay at my place."

"Fuck ! Fuck man !" Cix gets closer to Shawn and I. " Can y'all walk ?" he screams. Draco pushes him back.

"Don't scream at them, they're just babies. Take the girl and I'll take the boy."

"You're serious ?"

"The cops finna get us, let's go !" In that same instant Cix picks me up and puts me on his back while Shawn gets picked up by Draco. He runs so fast I can feel my stomach trying to come out my mouth. I close my eyes, feeling the wind on my face. "Get off." I finally opened my eyes, hearing Cix's harsh tone. I get off his back and look around.

"Where are we ?" I ask.

"Draco's" he answers. "If you're looking for your brother, he's in Draco's room sleeping. For an older sister, you sure don't know how to take care of your little brother. What is he ? Eight ?"

"Shawn isn't my little brother. And he's 10 not 8." I answer. He looks at me confused.

"His name's Shawn ?"

"Keshawn." I answer.

He walks to the living room's couch and sits down. "What's your name ?"

"Belladonna. I'm also ten."

"What type of names do you two have ? Did your parents name you like that ?" He continues before being interrupted by Draco who enters the room followed by a woman, another man and a little girl.

"That's the other one." Draco explains.

"Hello Ms. Davis." says Cix, speaking gently.

" Good afternoon Kelvin." She responds as she passes by him from behind the couch.

"Sir." Continues Cix as he nods to the man next to Ms. Davis.

"Is she his sister?" asks the little girl.

"I think so." answers Draco.

Cix shakes his head. "Belladonna says they're not related."

"Belladonna ?" questions Ms. Davis.

"Did you invent her name ?" asks Draco, looking at me with his beautiful brown eyes.

"Do I look like I have time for this ? She said her name's Belladonna and that the boy's name is Keshawn. They're both ten."

Ms. Davis gets closer to me and crunches down, to hold my hand. "Poor babies, all alone. Where are your parents ?" asks Ms. Davis.

"We're orphans. We have nowhere to go. Please don't send us back outside, we can't live that much longer on our own. We knocked on every house we saw but no one wanted us and..." My voice starts to break. "It's my fault we're like that. It was my idea to leave the orphanage..."

Ms. Davis looks back to the man behind her with concern. He walks closer. "Denzel..." Draco looks at the man. "When the lil' boy wakes up, make some food for them. Kelvin, you stay and help."

"Yes sir." answered both Denzel and Kelvin. " Your mom and I will go get beds for both of them. The girl will sleep with Tanisha in her room and the boy will stay in yours Denzel, 'til Tyrell is old enough."

"'Ight let's go find those beds." Ms. Davis says grabbing car keys and leaving the house. I look around and everyone seems to know what to do. Denzel and Kelvin are in the kitchen while Tanisha is in one of the rooms. I'm left alone in the living room.