June 26th '56

Grade 8 was finally over, my days at Naire Middle School South were done and I could now enjoy two months of peace away from schoolwork.

"I wonder how Grade 9 will be..." pondered Aneesa.

"Why are you already thinking about next year ? Think about vacations, school is over." argues Quannell as he puts his arm around my neck.

"Look at you two..." teases Aneesa. I smile at her.

"Let's go take the bus." I say, changing the subject.

"Nah." I turn around and see Tyrell. Nate and Izzy were walking behind him.

"My dad is picking us up today." explains Nate, smiling brightly.

"Ace has summoned us for an assembly." adds Tyrell.

"Cash's car is big enough for all of us ?" I ask.

"Um no... That's why he's taking the Gang's van." responds Nate with sass as he shoves his hands into his cargo pants' pockets.

"I told you guys ! Quann and Titi are dating !" marveled Isabel.

"What ?" shouted Nate. We all laugh. Asad walks towards him and pats him on the back.

Later, Cash arrived and drove us to the crib. Nate sat in the front next to him, Izzy, Neesa and I sat in the middle row and the boys sat at the back.

"What's the announcement about ?" asked Nate.

"There's a new member." Shigeru peeked at the rear-view mirror and smirked.

"Is it a girl or guy ?" asks Isabel.

"Is it a man or a woman ?" asks Aneesa.

"It's..a new member of the Silvers gang. Just wait."

***

"Stand tall !" Shouts Cash cheerfully. We arrived at the crib 10 minutes before. As it was an assembly, all Silvers were out in the back of the house making a half circle in front of the little podium where Ace stood alongside Cash, Sky, Blu and Wave. "Respect." continues Shigeru with a loud throaty voice.

One, two, three, four, five

"I can't believe you're still counting." comments Quann. I look at him in surprise.

"How...did you..?"

He grins. "You blink five times everytime we bow." He puts his hand against the back of my head and brings it closer to him. He gives my forehead five kisses.

"Today marks the 18th anniversary of the foundation of the Silvers Gang." Ace begins to talk on the podium. " The Silvers Gang was founded June 26th 22'38, by Sky, Lala and I. We started off as 3 and we quickly rose up to 97 faithful members. We have lost a bunch but we haven't forgotten them. Today I would like to welcome a new addition to the crew." A boy walks up to Ace. He's a caucasian boy with dirty blond hair and bright blue eyes. "Kyle Michaels is his name. Kyle, you will now be going by the name Link. I hereby declare you, member of the Silvers Gang. The people you now see around you are now your crew, your people, your family, your friends. Welcome." adds Ace.

We immediately applauded the arrival of Kyle and he bowed in front of us. Getting off the little podium, Nate and Tyrell marched to him and the rest of us kids followed.

"What's poppin' Link ?" chatted Nate.

"Call me Kyle."

"How old are ya, Link ?" commented Tyrell, slightly invading his personal space.