Chapter 28:: The One

Author's POV: 

The King gasped and dashed out of his quarters as Jungkook turned on his phone. The internet was full of articles. 

'The King's smuggling history. img.95' 
'The King has reportedly cheated on the Queen multiple times. The media gains further secrets of the palace.' 
'Behind closed doors. King, Queen and the Royal Family.'
'Anonymous account reports the King's history.'

And new articles included, 'What will the King do now?'
'Kingdom of Korea endangered.'
'Talks about the King deserving dethronement. Who would be the next successor? Prince Kim Taehyung?'

You all looked at each other and that's when you realized. The Queen had everything prepared. You looked at her surprised as she smiled, closing her eyes. 
Looking down, you whispered, "Things will get messy now." 

And they did.

—Days skip

2023 was here now.

The King had been exposed and the entire world was criticizing him. But he was a King. Like any other, he was also not charged but was left with no choice other than stepping down from the throne. There were tons of reporters around but the guards obstructed them. And soon, the chaos had died down.

But behind closed doors, it was another forming mess.

The Queen and the King had a huge fight afterwards about this. The Queen had mentioned how she was tired of everything and broke down. Later, the King said he'd divorce the Queen and declare the Princes illegitimate but you all knew that wasn't what he could do anymore. 
So, to prevent things from spreading more, the King would have to abdicate the throne and Taehyung would be in line for succession. 
You all attended an interview and said limited things, returning to the palace. The King was in a bad position. He barely came out of his room.

Half of January had passed by. 

Taehyung would be granted the throne soon. You looked at the TV and sighed. The news was everywhere. 

"Turn off the TV." You heard a familiar voice and looked behind to see Taehyung approaching you. He sat beside you on the sofa. 
"You're the next King." You said.
"I don't think I want it though." He sighed. 

You held his hand, whispering, "You'll be a good one, I trust you." 
"Do you want to be the Queen?" 
"Hmm... your Queen?" He smiled at your question and caressed your cheeks, nodding.
"My Queen." 
"I suppose... I wouldn't mind that." You shifted closer to him as he sighed, "Mother seems quite depressed, I'm worried." 
"She'll be okay, she's so strong." You patted his back, hugging him as he closed his eyes, seeking comfort from you. 
"You see... when the King abdicates, I'll be very busy. Maybe... I won't have so much time to idle around with you." 
"But I think we'll still be together." You whispered. 

"I'll do everything I can do for you." He said, kissing your head. 
"You won't change." You said. For some reason, it didn't feel like a question but rather an assurance that you were giving yourself and Taehyung could realize why. 
The day the King had said those words, 'An apple doesn't fall far from its tree.' 
It triggered your insecurity and it was obvious. But still, you decided to trust him. And he was so grateful for that.

He had the same suspicions once. There was a time he thought he would be like his father, a darned cheater. But the love he had for you was so immense, he couldn't even think of another woman. Maybe, he would be distant or busy and have fights with you because every marriage had ups and downs. But he knew it wouldn't stop him from loving you. Because the love he had for you was his need.

Loving you was his medicine. You were the reason he felt so alive, the only one who shook his heart like no other. And he couldn't think of anything or anyone else he's loved this much as you.