Chapter 5:: Hidden Smiles

Sudden change in situations of the story. Let's pretend the engagement was supposed to be held on 10th Dec and not 27th Jan.

Author's POV:

"You?" He asked as you stared at him in pure horror. Your heartbeats were audible to your ears. You had no idea if it was because it was him in front of you or if it was because of the sudden surprise. Taehyung backed away quickly, looking at his palm where your lipstick stain was evident. He hid his hand from you, gulping.
"Why did you-" You frowned as he rolled his eyes, "Why did you follow me?"
"I... wanted to get away from there."
You looked down as he sighed.
"Already hating the attention?"
"I'm not one to like them originally.."
You said. He wanted to smile but he didn't. Instead, he nodded, "Then, come with me I guess. Don't ever share this with anyone that I sneaked outside."
"Who would I share this with?"
You frowned, following him.

Soon, you both reached the lake and sat down on the ground.
"You're okay with sitting on the ground?" You asked him who frowned at you, "What do you mean?"
"I mean... you're one prince so."
"And what about you? Daughter of one of the richest families in Korea."
He stated as you thinned your lips.
"But I grew up quite normally in the US... in a small home with my aunt and uncle... eating peanut butter and bread for breakfast. And... playing in the mud sometimes." You smiled as you reminisced about the old days. Taehyung listened to you, his eyes darted to your side profile. Your skin glowed under the moonlight and the gloss on your lipstick shone so bright, it mesmerized him.
He fisted his palm, remembering the stamp of your lipstick on it.

"How did you grow up?" You asked. He pondered for a moment, looking at the lake.
"Watching this lake..." His words sounded sad. You wondered why but they just did. He looked at you and said, "Oh.. in the palace. But mostly, here. I have most memories of my childhood on this ground."
"How come?"
You asked.
"I sneaked outside... like I always do."

"Do you hate the palace life or something?"
"Not necessarily I like it... this is my life after all. I'm quite used to it but... I'd prefer living here more... on this ground."
He said. You smiled, "You sound so unlike the Prince Taehyung I thought I knew."
He frowned as you smiled at him, "You sound normal."
"Did you think I was abnormal?"
He raised a brow as you nodded, looking away. He scoffed, making you control your chuckle.

"Do you know how to fake a smile?" You asked as he frowned.
"Or do you only know how to frown?"
He straightened his face hearing you and looked away, clearing his throat. It seemed so adorable when he did that.
"You're one strange being, I swear." You sighed.
"You're the strange one here." He spoke, trying not to frown. You hummed, "Sure.. at least I can fake a smile."
"I can too."
"But you don't."

"Because I chose not to."
"Why?"

He looked at you, "Why should I? Faking smiles at others... doesn't mean anything. It's just unnecessary."
"It makes you look more approachable at least."
"I don't need people approaching me. I'm better off alone."
You hummed, "Am I being a bother by approaching you right now then?"
He didn't answer, just looked down.
"I don't know." He cleared his throat as you smiled.
"Even if you prefer being alone, sometimes, having company isn't bad." You said.

He stared at your smile while you faced the moon. Your smile glowed so brightly, it ignited something in him too. As if a spark took place and a miracle happened.

He looked away, frowning at this feeling. You looked at him to see his frown and wondered why he was always so bothered.
Suddenly, he got up and said, "Let's... go back."
You followed him, confused. Upon entering the place again, you sighed loudly. This chaos was what was unnecessary.