Chapter 10:: Soft spot

Author's POV: 

Taehyung looked at the begonias in the garden and the ring on his finger. He remembered his father's face during breakfast. The King wasn't pleased. Why would he be? 
You weren't the bride he had chosen but the Queen had protested. This was the reason why everything fell apart, didn't it? 
That's why he was agreeing to get married despite his distrust in himself. But now, thinking of it, did you deserve this? 
You deserved to marry someone you loved. Not someone you were tied to. 
You had told him that this marriage saved your family too. But so many things were unknown. How could someone act properly without knowing the whole story?

But again, this was the beauty of life. We knew not so many things. That's how we hoped and lived, facing obstacles and adventures. There was the beauty in not knowing things as well as the hurt that come with it.

He heard footsteps approach and frowned, taking a guess. And as soon as he turned around, he was surprised to know his guess was right.

It was you. 

You looked at the begonias and walked toward them, "They seem more beautiful in the morning. Good thing I woke up early."
He just looked away, nodding. You sighed, "Are you avoiding me?" 
"No." 
"Me when I lie." You spoke, rolling your eyes playfully. He frowned a little but straightened his face as you stood in front of him, meeting his eyes. 
"You're the only person in this palace I talk to. What am I going to do if you avoid me?" You frowned as he raised a brow, "So Jungkook isn't from the palace?" 
You thinned your lips, smiling mischievously.
"Oops... I didn't know you noticed that."

"Anyone would." He sighed, looking away. You leaned closer to him, whispering, "This palace is too lavish. Is this how you've lived all your life? With 10 maids outside your room in the morning?" 
He shrugged and you took it as a yes. 
"Nice life."
"No privacy, you mean." 
You chuckled and looked at him, "Do you regret getting engaged?" 

He looked at you immediately, his face changing. You looked laid back but your question made him wonder a bit. He didn't want that question to be asked of him. 
Because he didn't know the answer himself. 

He had mixed feelings. If it was just about you and him, maybe, he was fine with it. Getting married to you didn't seem like a bad thing to him. But thinking of everything, he wondered if it was right at all. The betrothal, his parents, the problems of the Royal Family, you being included in his worries... nothing seemed right. 

"So you do..." You spoke, your voice turning a little quieter than before. No, he didn't want this. 
"I don't." He said. You looked up at him as he said, "Can you not assume things?" 
"If you don't give me clear answers, I'll have to." 
He frowned, walking towards you until your back almost hit a plant behind. He leaned in closer to you, frowning. 
"You have something on your face." 
Your eyes widened, staring right into his as he asked, "Are you a messy eater?" 
"W-What?!" 
He sighed, rushing his thumb against the corner of your lips. Your breath hitched as he backed away, squinting his eyes at his finger.
"Tch..." He sighed, dusting off his hands as you stared at him.

"I could've... taken it off myself." You said. He shrugged, walking away. You stood there completely clueless about your existence at this point. What was his deal?

—At night 

You walked around the palace, wondering why it was so big. 
"Are you lost, Princess?" You heard a familiar voice and turned around to see Jungkook. He smiled at you as you asked, "Oh? I don't think so... uh.."
He chuckled and approached you, "Look. This place is huge. Don't get lost." 
"How would I know if I'm lost or not?" You frowned as he said, "Maybe... make Hyung give you a tour." 
"Him? Tour to me? Woah... I wish I was dreaming." You sighed as JUngkook smiled, "Just ask him. He'll never refuse, trust me." 
"What if he does?"
"Then say that you knew it. That he's of no use and start walking the other way. Count to 5, and he'll call you."