Chapter 41: "Graduation"

The next morning I woke up and styled my hair, I wanted to wear a suit but it was too hot outside so I wore a pair of navy suit pants and a white short-sleeved t-shirt with my black dress shoes, I wore my gown on top of it and the hat, my dad started taking pictures of me all around the house.

He drove me to the school, where I met with my friends, he took pictures of us together and we found our seats. My eyes searched for Danielle, she was on the stage talking to the principal, she was wearing a white sleeveless dress that stopped right above the knee, it sat perfectly on her body, matching heels and she had straightened her hair and she seemed really elegant and professional. We locked eyes and she smiled at me.

They started calling names and I started growing nervous. Izzy got up and Ed, our parents and I cheered as loud as we could. We did the same for Ed.

-“Camilla Thompson” I got up and I could feel my heart pounding in my chest, but I was happy, I heard my friends cheering and walked on stage, I shook my teachers’ hands.

-“I never thought you’d make it” Ms. Williams said and I chuckled. Then it was Dani’s turn.

-“I’m proud of you Camilla” She said with a smile as we shook hands

-“Congratulations” The principal said giving me my diploma, I shook his hand and walked off the stage where my friends were waiting for me. They hugged me and we waited for the ceremony to end. We heard what the valedictorian had to say and then we threw our caps in the air. I caught mine because I knew my dad wanted more pictures.

-“I can’t believe we made it guys” I hugged them

-“No more school” Ed chuckled.

Our parents came to congratulate us and my eyes started searching for Dani. Our parents started talking with some teachers, but Dani was nowhere to be seen. I felt my phone buzz.

-“turn around” I turned around and Dani wrapped her arms around me.

-“they are going to see us”

-“I’m just congratulating my favorite student” I chuckled and pulled away. “You made it Cam, I’m so proud of you” My smile grew wider.

-“I wish mum was here to see this”

-“She would be so proud of you monkey” My dad added, I hadn’t noticed him standing next to me. “So, how about we go for a family dinner to celebrate?” I nodded. “How about we’ll go to this fancy restaurant down the street from our house?”

-“Sure” I agreed.

-“Danielle, we’ll meet you there” My dad said.

-“Oh I… are you sure? Because you said family dinner and I wouldn’t want to bother you” My dad raised his eyebrows.

-“You are family too, Danielle. Cam will text you the address”

-“I’ll let the principal know I’m leaving” I texted Dani the address and dad and I got in the car.

-“I’m so proud of you monkey”

-“Thanks dad, for the first time, I’m proud of myself too.” We got to the restaurant and sat at a table, ten minutes later Dani joined us.

-“You are beautiful today Dani” I said and she took my hand in hers.

We ordered and chatted for a while. My dad kept asking Dani about me and she told him all the stupid shit I did this year. They ended up laughing at me and making fun of me, and I was okay with it. They were getting along great.

It was the first time we were out, together, in public. Dani was laughing and smiling while stealing glances at me. We were about to start the rest of our lives as a couple.