Chapter 15

Rowan's P.O.V

"About Peyton's condition..."

"Please Nurse..." I scan the nurse for her name tag. "Jackson. Just tell us." I say.

"Peyton is in critical condition." Nurse Jackson informs us.

"W-will he make it?" Mrs.Meyer asks, crying.

"We don't know yet. He's in surgery right now and we're hoping for the best."

"What for?" Corey asks.

"In the accident, the truck hit Peyton right on the driver side door. His left leg was unable to be saved, but we are currently trying to mend his left arm in order to save it."

At this point, Mrs.Meyer was sobbing, and so was I.

"Peyton will need a robotic leg if he makes it." Nurse Jackson continues.

"All available surgeons on the 4th floor please report to surgery room 2." We all hear on the speaker.

"Um...Nurse Jackson?" I ask.

"Yes sweetie?"

"What surgical room is Peyton in?"

"Oh...I'm sorry to say he's in room 2."

I start running. Running as fast as I can. The idea of using the elevator doesn't even cross my mind. I run down the stairs to get as far away from this place as possible. Once out of the stairwell, I dash out of the hospital and just keep on running.

"Rowan!" I hear someone call out. I don't recognize the voice so I keep on running. "Rowan! Wait! It's me!" Now I clearly recognize the voice.

I turn around to see Jacob. I run to him as he's still running towards me. Once I get close enough to him, I run into his open arms.

"Rowan. What's wrong?" Jacob asks me, still hugging me.

"It's P-Peyton. He's in the hospital and...and he might not make it."

"Oh Rowan... It'll be okay."

"Wait...why are you here?"

"Oh yeah." Jacob says ending the hug. "Well... It's a long story."

"I have time."

"Okay...so I came here to visit you earlier today. I was driving to your apartment when a black car went through a red light and I crashed into the car. I know the person in the car came here, to the hospital, so I wanted to make sure they were okay."

Black car? Peyton drives a black car.

"Did the car happen to be a Toyota?" I ask.

"Yeah, I believe so."

"THAT WAS PEYTON!" I say without even realizing I was yelling.

"What!?! Rowan! I'm so sorry... Wait! Come back."

All I wanted to do was get away from him. But I turn around to say one last thing.

"Jacob... We're through."

With that, I turn and run back into the hospital. I can still hear Jacob calling my name and I think he's chasing after me. But I don't turn back. I run towards the hospital elevator, get in, and close the doors before Jacob can come in. I go up to level 4 and find Sabrina, Corey, and Mrs.Meyer in the same spot where they were when I ran off, only without Nurse Jackson.

"Rowan! You're back." Corey says. "We have news."

"Oh yeah? Well so do I."

"You go first."

"I know who's responcable for this."

"Who?" They all ask in unison.

"Jacob."

"What? How?" Sabrina asks.

"Who's that?" Corey asks.

"He is this guy from my hometown." I say to both Corey and Mrs.Meyer, who was looking at me in confusion. "Yeah, well he came to visit and he ran into Peyton."

"Oh gosh." Mrs.Meyer says.

"Please excuse us." Sabrina says to Corey and Mrs.Meyer. Sabrina walks me away to a vacant area.

"Did you break up with him?" Sabrina asks.

"Of course I did!"

"Good. Now listen to me. Corey told me about Amanda while you were gone. The plan was all this Amanda's idea. She doesn't like you and she wants Peyton to herself. Peyton was pretending to go along with the plan in order to break up with Amanda harshly."

"If all this is true, why did Peyton freak out on me instead of explaining this to me?"

"That, honey, I can't explain."