Chapter 27

Klouie
Ruminating

The air is filled with the sound of crickets chirping and the distant call of birds. The intensity of the twilight hour is palpable, a time of heightened senses and heightened emotion.

I tilted my head as unknown emotions washed over my whole system when the light from the car gives a glimpse to her face.

I breathed a sigh of relief as she appeared before my eyes. Just the sight of her was enough to fill me with a sense of calm and peace.

She gave me a look of never-ending sorry as the holds on the gun tightened when the man didn't budge.

"Drop it, you wouldn't want to disturb this peaceful night, would you?" Her voice is as dangerous as a venomous snake.

It sent a shiver down my spine.

Nakatingin pa rin sa akin ang lalaki, walang kibo at lalong nakitaan ko ng determinasyon na iputok ang baril sa akin.

Jusko naman! Kung kailan gusto ko ng mabuhay saka ako papatayin? Jino-joke time niyo ba ako?

I sneered to the man.

"Just drop the gun, Mister-" I rolled my eyes and hissed in disbelief when two figures came into the picture and pointed their guns at my Miss Attorney.

Great, just great!

"Why don't you do the honor to drop your gun?" Their robotic voice seems like something crawling in my skin!

Miss Attorney stood her ground, unfazed, lips curled in a calm collected smile.

"Are you ordering me behind my back?"

Pakiramdam ko ay parang pinilipit ang dibdib ko dahil sa tensyong namamagitan sa aming lima ngayon.

"Yes? You wouldn't want this kid to die, right?"

Another said, I couldn't identify them one by one because they were wearing similar outfits to hide their identities.

"It's okay, Miss Attorney. I can take his bullets." I shrugged while hand-gestating.

"No, she can't take it." The man in front of me said.

"I can take it." I argued.

"No." His holds tightened even more to his gun.

"Desisyon ka?" Inis kong sabi.

"I can literally shoot you through your brain, and my bullet will tear through your skull."

The thought of it literally made me freeze. What the hell? Papatayin niya talaga ako?

"Come on, drop it." Miss Attorney became impatient.

"How the hell are you two relaxing on this? We are about to end your lives in a wrong move." The one from Miss Attorney's behind spoke disbelief.

"What are we supposed to do? Panic? Does panic could save us now?" She said that as if she were talking like an idiot.

"Aren't you scared?" Tanong pa ng isa.

Umiling ako, even though inside I am screaming to end this scene. Gosh!

"Why would we be scared? I'm not scared to die right now. I'm with Miss Attorney. Mamamatay akong kasama siya."

Pinandilatan niya ako ng mata na kinatawa ko ng mahina. Mukhang mas nainis pa siya sa akin ngayon kaysa sa tatlo.

Ganyan niya ako kagusto.

"This is insane." I heard Miss Attorney murmured, getting more annoyed. "Drop the guns!"