Chapter 10:: Soft spot

Comincia dall'inizio

You stared at him, wondering how reliable his words were here.

—Next day

"No. Ask a maid?" He frowned as you sighed, "I knew it after all. Jungkook was wrong. Knew it." 
He frowned as you started to walk away. But, you were stopped by his voice, "Hey."
You grinned but controlled it, turning around, "Yes?" 
"Ask Patricia. She knows well where the rooms are." 
Seeing your face in disbelief, he tried not to smile. But as soon as you stomped away, he let out a silent laugh. He knew everything you were doing. 
He heard Jungkook and you talk when he was following you around the palace, making sure you wouldn't be lost. 

He quickly hid his smile and made the cold face again when he heard the maids walk past him. His heart felt so full, being able to tease you. 

—Time skip 

"Wow, croissants are good." You frowned, dipping them in chocolate sauce and continuing your 'snack time'. You saw Taehyung walking towards you but you didn't pay attention to him. You were quite annoyed. 
He sat across from you, taking a croissant. 
"That's mine."
"So?" He raised a brow as you scoffed. You weren't the type to say petty things but these days, you found yourself acting like you once did... way before. Before you weren't pressured by the reality of life. 

He smiled at you, making you frown hard.
"Why are you-"
"What?" He smiled.
"Just keep on avoiding me. Don't smile! I don't like this behaviour of yours. And I didn't find Patricia." You frowned. 
"Because Patricia doesn't exist in the palace." He said casually making you gasp. He got up, "I'll give you a tour. Come." 
"What?" 
"You don't want one?"

You saw him eating the croissant and walk away as you quickly wiped your hands, following him. 

He walked around the hallways and took you to the royal library. You saw so many books there. He also suggested a book for you to read. It had some rules and etiquette of royal life, it'd help you know better about the palace's traditions and all. 
"What type of books do you usually read?" You asked as he replied, "Historical... life lessons?"
"Boring." You sighed. 
"And romance." He smirked seeing your reaction. 
"Wow.. same." You thinned your lips as he spoke, "What's your favourite book?"
"It's a romance by Elena Armas." You said. He hummed, "I've read her book too." 
"Isn't it so detailed?"
"The adult part?"

"Shut up. Oh my god." You walked away quickly, letting out a gasp in disbelief. He smiled, seeing you walk away. He liked this feeling of letting you be close to him. The feeling of letting you make him smile was nice. 
You turned around, feeling as if he smiled but he covered it up, making you frown. 

"You did smile. I know." 
"Good for you then." He shrugged. You smiled a little as you both walked around, later on, going to the music room. 
"You can play the piano?" He asked as you said, "Yeah, you?"
"Trained since childhood." 

"Woah. Let's play together?"
"Which one?"
"River Flows In You by Yiruma? That one's famous." You smiled. He nodded as you both sat down. He was right beside you, making you smile a little. 
He played the high notes as you played the low notes. It was quite funny as well as nice. It harmonized when both of you continued playing at the same time in 2 different notes. 
"You're good at this." You said to him who looked away, "You're not bad yourself." 

You cleared your throat, looking down.
"Do you want to see more of the palace tomorrow?" 
"Umm... maybe tomorrow. It's almost dinner time. We spent 3 hours in the library and music room." 

You smiled widely as he stared at you, his heart beating louder than ever. He was so smitten, he wondered how he'd ever heal from this. Or maybe this was the sign he was healing?

—At night 

You sat on the balcony with Taehyung after dinner. 
"Why were you so uneasy after the engagement?" You asked as he looked down, "No reason..."
"Okay. Don't share if you don't want to." You said, casually. He looked at the sky, wondering why he wanted to share it with you. 
"I just had bad thoughts."
"Like?"
"Maybe I was... being wrong. Maybe you didn't have to marry me... it felt selfish."
"So you avoid me?"

He didn't reply as you sighed. 
"If you think you've done me wrong by agreeing to the wedding, then maybe I could say the same. I don't know what you gained from here. But my family was almost at the stake of things I heard. There was a huge problem going on financially and many politicians were losing their jobs. But being in this childhood betrothal, the royal family had contributed to our family. Though it wasn't publicized, the royal family and my own secretly had a deal. Our family helped the royals and they did the same in return. This marriage saved them from ruin. So, isn't it selfish of me to be married to you? It was all my family's gain." 

Taehyung stared at you, "But I gained from it too."
You looked at him confused, "My mother saved me from getting married into a bad political family with dark histories... that would be the end of my reign if I was married into that family for the King's gain. I'd be hated by the public... that family had a history of dr-gs and... bad things... murders. So I was betrothed to you, to be away from that plan of the King." 

You looked down, gulping. 
"So... that's why they said this marriage was important?"
"I think so." 

You both looked at each other, your faces glowing in the moonlight. All you could notice was each other's faces. You smiled at him, "Then... don't ignore me. If you really feel guilty or something after this conversation, be nicer to me. Ignoring me doesn't help."
He tilted his head just a little, his eyes focused on you and only you. You raised your brows, seeing this unknown emotion in his eyes. His hands rested on your cheeks, making you let out a breath. His hands were so cold right now.
Maybe it was because you both were on the balcony in winter. The cool breeze blew and you felt his hands move from your cheeks to your head, patting lightly. 
You frowned as he got up, "Go to sleep early. It's cold." 

You craved his touch on your skin again as he left. You let out a loud sigh. Your heart was fluttering and your palms sweat. You wanted to be near him again where his scent would be all around you and his eyes would be darted on you. And you wondered why this feeling was here. 

You realized that you had been freer with him than anyone else. Mina was the only one who had seen you in your clown era. You used to be a free-bird who had the funniest jokes and always clowned around. But at some point, you changed. You became more reserved than before and only Mina had seen you act all dramatic and petty, loud and crazy. Not many did after you had changed.

The pressure of reality had forced itself upon you. It changed you. It changed your mindset and behaviour and view of the world. But now, when you were here again, smiling and grinning almost all the time for no reason, not even the fake-smiles you fed the cameras but the real smiles and the feeling of opening up arose in you, you knew the reason. It was him. 

But it scared you. Just as you were bonding with him, you'd develop a soft spot for him. Or maybe you already had... without realizing.