043

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟒𝟑 — 𝐲𝐨𝐮'𝐯𝐞 𝐠𝐨𝐭 𝐮𝐬 𝐧𝐨𝐰

Did all that really happen or was my mind playing a well-planned trick on me? I'm not sure which one it was, but one thing was all that I can think of at this moment. I have to check on him.

I approached the cell, telling the guards to uncuff him, which they were a bit hesitant in doing until Hilda ordered them to do it too. I can understand their wariness. A part of me knew that they had the right to doubt me asking them to let Nicholas go, for it could always be a witchcraft trick. In fact, everything could be it. I have experience. I was fooled by it – in my own living area. Shows how bad it could get if you let your guard down.

"Nicholas." I kneeled down beside him, studying his worn-down features. There were tear stains on his cheek, his lips were chapped and dry, and his demeanour was that of a frightened child. I rested my finger lightly on his chin and lifted it up to make him look at me. His eyes began to be filled with tears again as I met his grey orbs.

All of a sudden, his arms wrapped themselves around my figure, bringing me close to the point that I fell down sitting slumped in front of him. His breath was so close to my skin that it gave me shudders. "A-are you okay, Nicholas? Were you hurt?"

He shook his head slowly, still in tears as he rested his head on my upper chest, sniffing in my scent. After a few moments, he rubs his nose with the back of his sleeve, and sniffles, before pulling himself from me to take a better look at me. "Are-...are you okay, Petal? Were you hurt?"

If Martha weren't just scaring me, and she was in fact telling me the truth, I may have had poison spreading inside me right this moment. I don't believe my condition would be considered "okay" in any way possible.

"Yes," I told him, smiling the most genuine smile I could muster to show him.

After making sure that he wasn't harmed in any way, I asked Hilda to take Nicholas back to our shared room and help him get comfortable

After making sure that he wasn't harmed in any way, I asked Hilda to take Nicholas back to our shared room and help him get comfortable. Pierre and Bernard insisted that I get myself healed up before I go about doing something else. They didn't even let me take Nicholas back to our room, saying that the more time we wasted, my condition might worsen if Martha did in fact, truly poisoned me.

I turned to look at Elrond and thought of Odell who was waiting for me for hours already. I sighed at the situation, telling the two that I must see Odell at least, if I can't go and send Nicholas back, fearing that she may need my urgent attention. The two began to argue again and this time Elrond nodded and agreed to them, telling me that he can tell Odell what has happened and she'll surely understand and asked to meet up some other day instead, doesn't matter how urgent it is.

"Don't push yourself, Adeline. You have to get yourself treated. It could be way worse if you don't listen," he persuades.

Knowing that I couldn't tell any of them "no" after they had formed a pact against me, I lowered my inner voice and nodded, telling them to lead the way and hurry along. Bernard and Pierre were relieved, and so was Elrond.