035

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟑𝟓 — 𝐟𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐧𝐝𝐬 𝐨𝐮𝐭𝐬𝐢𝐝𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐛𝐨𝐫𝐝𝐞𝐫

The town of fae was a pretty place to be in. Flowers and plants decorated every inch of the place. It's like I've fallen into a hidden paradise deep inside the earth. Laughter and chatter filled the air but it stop the moment everyone's eyes were on both of me and Pierre.

"Who are these intruders you three brought in?" an elderly voice asked.

"They are... my friends, Kane. You can rest assured," Odell answered for us all. She closed in around both me and Pierre and held our wrists in hers.

"Friends... outside the border?" another elderly voice asked. Our head turned to see the source and in its place stood a sturdy-looking man, with ginger hair and antlers on his head, looking to be in his 50s.

There was an awkward silence that followed after the man voiced his question. Everyone was dead silent and unmoving.

Clearing her throat, Odell nodded. Her grip around my wrist tightens. "Yes, father. They are both my friends from outside the border."

Father? So that man must be the chief of this village. Hence, the authority.

"I thought I taught you better than this, Odell," the man commented, looking at both of me and Pierre. "One day our village will be in your hands. You're the future of our people and trusting outsiders is one thing, but bringing them in—"

"It– it wasn't her fault, chief," Caedan suddenly spoke timidly in a voice laced with fear. His figure shakes. His eyes not meeting anyone but the ground. "I–I brought them in."

"Be quiet, Caedan," Odell scolded in a whisper-shout manner. "They are my friends and naturally, my responsibility. I'm sorry to disappoint you, father. I promised they won't be long."

With how many eyes fell on me, I couldn't help but felt my tongue tied in a knot. My stomach starts churning around again, making me feel sick. I couldn't move. Couldn't say anything. I was just... scared. Scared that I'll say something that would make this welcome worse.

I didn't think this through.

"Alright. I want eyes kept on the two. Make sure they aren't doing anything to harm us," her father finally spoke. "Get on with your day, there's nothing to see here." Then he entered a hut, making himself unseen from our eyes. And everyone starts going about their day, completely ignoring us again.

"You two—" Odell sighed as she let our wrists go. "You two better have a good reason to come all the way here."

"It wasn't our intention to get in the village," I started, turning to look straight at her. "We're just trying to get to you."

"Why?" She seems almost frustrated. I should have known that trying to get to her might have cost something for her too.

"Can we talk somewhere private?" I asked, secretly hoping that she'd just say yes. I don't think I can possibly speak openly about everything here. In this open area, with all eyes on us.

"Adeline–"

"It really won't take long. I found something and I had questions. I also had to warn you of something that's coming your way."

"Warn me of something that's coming my way?"

"Just spare me a bit of your time, I'm sure, you can do at least that."

Sighing, she nodded and began walking away. "Follow me." Caedan and Elrond merely stood still behind us. Quiet and unresponsive.

"I'm sorry for almost troubling you both. We best be on our way now if we were to leave early," I said, excusing both me and Pierre from the two as I dragged Pierre by the arm to follow Odell. We stepped quietly behind her, not doing much when all wary eyes occasionally eyed our every step.