042

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟒𝟐 — 𝐦𝐮𝐫𝐝𝐞𝐫𝐨𝐮𝐬 𝐠𝐥𝐢𝐧𝐭 𝐨𝐧 𝐚 𝐩𝐫𝐞𝐭𝐭𝐲 𝐟𝐚𝐜𝐞

"Nicholas!" I gasped, my voice cracking at the sight of him, standing just a mere distance away from us. His eyebrow knitted together at my response and he began walking our way.

I turned to my sides to see Elrond's mouth shut tight. He eyed Nicholas intently then he sniffed the air and his eyes began to shine. His head flipped to me, hand on my arm and began pulling me back little by little with every step Nicholas walked toward us.

"Her scent. There seems to be a huge amount emitting from him. A dark whirly power loomed around him. It's horrifying to see. You are lucky you don't have my eyes." he spoke softly, careful not to be heard by the very Nicholas standing a distance away from us. "Just be sure to stay far from him. I can sense his intent on you was very unkind, no matter how his expression defends him."

Pierre, Bernard as well as Hilda, heard everything Elrond had uttered. Pierre didn't bulge. He kept his stance and stood in front of everyone, Bernard following him right after.

"What's wrong, Petal?" Nicholas asked, feet stopping at once as a face of plain hurt began to drain on his face. A pang of guilt builds in my heart watching his expression. "How come everyone is looking at me like that now?"

Clearing my throat, I smiled at him, trying not to voice suspicion about him being the possible threat just yet. "It's nothing, Nicholas. It's just that we're a bit shaken by what we saw Martha did," I told him, casting my eyes back on the helpless elderly lady.

"What exactly did she do?" he asked, his eyes falling on the same person, with a tint of irritation-filled concern. Then he turned to gaze back at us, head tilting. "And what are you lots doing here? I thought you were meeting Bernard and staying with him for a while, Petal."

Huffing, I shrugged. Trying my best to seem unalarmed by his presence."That was the plan... but I wanted to see her. I just didn't think I'd see her cry when she saw me," I told him. "She was reaching out with tears in her eyes. As if begging me to help her. It was quite the shocking sight, Nicholas."

He momentarily stopped and blinked as he seemed to process my reply. Then he scoffed, putting his hands on his sides as he stared towards the elderly lady. "Help? After everything she's done to you?"

I have no words to reply and I didn't need to say anything as he marched onwards, straight to the cell. He eyed the lady and upon his approach, the confined so-called hag retreated her steps and quivered at the back side of the enclosed space.

This whole exchange was enough to confirm that everything between the two was rather suspicious. I don't get why the witch would feel scared if it's just Nick. He wasn't even doing anything. He just stood there. Staring quietly at her. Eyes unwavering. As if he was scolding her silently.

Surely one very creepy exchange.

"Nick, I'm sorry if we're bothering you. I didn't think you would be here today."

"Oh, I never miss a day, Petal. I'm sure Bernard told you of my constant visit, ey boy?" he uttered lazily without glancing at any of us.

The fact that he gestured to Bernard the same way as Martha usually does just adds more oddness to this whole matter. I don't think Nicholas is the type of person who would call some other male 'boy' in a fond manner or just as it is at all. I can't help myself, not being able to look away from him. Trying to figure out what is wrong with him...and her.

What happened to them both?

Pierre gritted his teeth, he eyed us and then backed himself closer to us, making sure that we were right behind him. Then he turned to gaze back at Nicholas. "And why would you be here every day?"