022

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟐 - 𝐈 𝐬𝐡𝐨𝐮𝐥𝐝𝐧'𝐭 𝐡𝐚𝐯𝐞 𝐚𝐬𝐤𝐞𝐝 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐭𝐨 𝐜𝐨𝐦𝐞 𝐚𝐥𝐨𝐧𝐠...

The wind howls loudly, sounding as if a clamorous flood of children crying as though it's a child tripping down in pain as it harshly passed me. Some brushed past my face, nudging my hair out of its place.

The cloud starts to grow dark. High, dim and unbothered. The dark cloud doesn't bother me. Nor does the noisy and frosty wind.

Waiting is what's horrible. I can feel fear eating me up constantly the longer I wait for them to come out from the mouth of the deep wood. The vines below my feet start to prick onto the back of my calf, probably trying to tear the skin of my feet away. At this point, after all, that I experienced, I'm not even surprised if that was the case.

The world felt numb to me as I kept staring. Hoping for them to come back. Desperately hoping for him to come back.

I unconsciously started to fidget with my fingers, picking on them occasionally as I felt a metallic taste run down the side of my mouth. Wiping it with the sleeves of my dress in one slow movement, I pulled it up to stare at the small red blot left on it.

I must have been biting onto my lips too hard again, without me realising it. Though, It's nothing new and worth worrying about. My eyes danced around the area in search of something. Something that I don't even know what it is that I'm trying to find. What did I want to find? What do I want my eyes to fall on? What would I need to find to be able to help them and not just... sit here, doing absolutely nothing but worry?

Is the hag really that strong?— too strong that not even two people is enough to beat her up?

Did I just send yet another innocent soul to their doom?

I should've known. Nothing ever works out for me. Nothing ever works the way I want it to.

But it's Pierre. I had to try. He's worth every sacrifice I'll make to save him. He was one of a kind, a good friend of mine.

A brilliant friend of mine.

"Don't tell me you've fallen in love with her instead of with me. I did save you first, so this feels a little unflattering," he said.

"I'm not in love with her," I stated emphatically. "I'm not crazy about you, either!"

He gave me a sidelong glance before nodding. "Sure, I believe you."

Smiling at the recollection, a gush of warmth filled my heart. A small smile crept its way to my face but as fast as it comes, it goes away just as quickly. I can feel my smile faltering, shredding itself bit by bit.

Where have those days gone by?

It was all less traumatic back then. How did I end up entangled with this list of misfortune?

For as long as I remembered, I've done absolutely nothing wrong and been very careful with what I do during my stay here.

Or at least, I believe I've done nothing wrong to deserve any of this.

In the corner of my eyes, a gleam of rays shines my way as if to tell me I can stop worrying about the inevitable fate that the world has placed on me. As if to tell me that he was alright and was on his way to find me. As if to remind me, for the time being, that's all that matter.

My chest feels lighter at my interpretation of what the world might be telling me but it doesn't completely chase my worries away. I've forgotten how cruel, dark and dangerous the world could be. The olden days seem to be just as horrible as the future. Something changed for the better but still, terror exists among the people that walked the earth.