017

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟕 - 𝐡𝐞 𝐭𝐚𝐬𝐭𝐞𝐝 𝐝𝐚𝐧𝐠𝐞𝐫𝐨𝐮𝐬𝐥𝐲 𝐝𝐞𝐥𝐢𝐜𝐢𝐨𝐮𝐬

All painted red. The room was dark and red was all that I could see. White roses painted red with a pail full of blood; a low cackling voice made me shiver as I walked down the long dark hall. The path is endless; I keep walking and walking, meeting no end for it.

Then I see at the far end, white light and a familiar voice calling out to me. "Adeline, Addie... Petal... Please wake up."

The moment I opened my eyes, that's when I remembered. I passed out. It all came back to me. I passed out after breathing a sigh of relief in Bernard's arms. I was in his arms, but I can feel that I'm in a completely different person's arms now.

I stared up at the person who was holding me as they walked. It was Nicholas. His ash-brown hair bobbed lightly as he strode. He wears worries on his face. His eyes were half dead and his lips dry, looking ahead at where the rest of the people were.

"Nicholas?"

He turned his head down to look at me. I can see colours returning to his face as a smile plays softly on his lips.

"You're awake."

"What happened?"

"You fainted, but you're alright now. You're safe."

"Being in your arms, I know I am," I said, smiling. "Nicholas, do you know where Bernard is?"

At the mention of Bernard, Nicholas' eyes turned cold. "He's caught and soon to be exterminated, the same time as the witch."

My eyes turned wide in horror. Not Bernard. They shouldn't do that to him. "What? No. Where is he?" I let my eyes travel around the area in search of him, until my eyes fell on a certain sandy blonde hair, being held, arms in arms by two sturdy-looking knights. "Please, Nicholas. He did nothing but treat me nicely during my horrible stay. Can't you tell them to stop?"

"Why should I?"

"What?"

"Did you know what those people did to Feiya yesterday, Petal?"

"I- I know. The witch told me while I tried to escape last night... But he didn't take part in that, he was asleep, left at home to be with me."

"He's still a monster."

"No, he's not, Nicholas. He was nice and he tried to help me."

"Did you not see him turn into that monster?"

"I did. But there must be a cure for it. I'm sure of it."

"Petal, how can you heal something that monstrous?"

Hopelessness consumed me and worries overflowed me to the point that I could taste it on my tongue. Then I remembered the amulet he once wore.

"T–The amulet. Where is it?"