039

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟑𝟗 — 𝐜𝐚𝐧 𝐡𝐞 𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧 𝐜𝐨𝐨𝐤?

Sleep was a hard thing to do for me after what happened. I was still wide awake, eyes unwilling to close at around three in the morning. My mind just won't stop playing the scene of him leaning into me, over and over again. I keep thinking of what if, every time it crossed my mind.

Regrets spread in my heart, scolding me for leaving too soon. Though a part of me, the rational voice in me, knows that I did the right thing.

Still, was it so wrong for me to want to feel his lips on mine? To feel more of his caress on my skin? I don't think it's wrong enough that I'd deserved any punishment for it at least.

No matter how hard I try to sleep, no matter how hard I shut my eyes and nag myself to sleep, I can't find myself drifting off. Not with a picture of him continuously playing itself on a loop in my mind. Beautiful and disruptive, with his own mission of making me lose my mind the very night.

"Fuck. I'm going mad," I huffed, turning to yet another side as I tried to push him off of my mind yet again and failing quite miserably at doing so. "Oh goddammit."

This is ridiculous. Who the fuck am I even talking to?

The town was a dead city under the glimmers of the shining moonlight. No chatter or laughter, and no flickering light or loud walking steps. It was very late for most. On the brink of yet another morning sun coming, but I couldn't force myself to surrender; couldn't bring myself to shove the white flag in the sky in a desperate attempt to just rest my mind. No matter how hard I tried. All my effort were left unnoticed.

I feel my eyes grow heavier as time went much closer to the arrival of the next Sun, shades of orange and yellow beginning to colour the sky. I found myself finally slowly going to sleep. It was finally peaceful as I sighed in relief, letting my eyes close and my mind rest. Slowly, my consciousness was pulled into a dark abyss–a dark room full of nothing. Making me forget everything else and just drift off peacefully.

Though my sleep was not long. It was a short peaceful rest. I could only sleep for a few hours before I awoke with the sound of Nicholas beginning to shift in his room. I took note of the sound of him going to the bathroom, fast feet working about, water being thrown into the tub and soon the door closing and when it does, I can hear his clothes falling to the floor and his foot entering the wooden tub. I can hear the sound of the overflowing water falling off the brim and hitting the ground. It was all so loud that I can't turn the sound off from my focus.

The wall really needs new renovation. I've been going through this every morning. It's downright downgrading for me. 

Behind the wall, I can hear his first man moan of the day reverberating along the thin wall, hitting my ears as the water hit his body. A shade of red immediately coloured my cheek at the sound. 

I could never get used to this.

I can feel a warm tingle beginning to form under my abdomen and between my thighs. My body began to feel hot as pictures of Nicholas began to form in my mind. Then another moan was heard making me grow hotter as I fight the urge to not let my instinct take over me.

Groaning, I sat up almost immediately from my bed. Rather than accepting the fact that I'm truly going mad and downright shameless, I chose to start getting ready instead, knowing well that getting ready to be going now would probably be better than waiting for when it would start to get dark out later. I don't have any plans besides meeting Bernard anyways. Getting organised might help me block out his sound.

At least I hoped it would.

Walking to my drawer, I pulled out a red gown and a clean chemise and placed them neatly on my bed. I then went on and rattled along my stuff, putting all the things that I wanted to bring along in a pouch. Then I decided that I would get myself cleaned up for the day, bringing a big cloth to work as my towel, and holding it on my arm, which was resting close to my chest.