chapter 32 - the revelation

DANTE MORALES

We got home late and plopped onto the couch. Katerina rested her head on me as we looked out toward the sky.

"Dinner was a bust. They all hate you even more now and hate me too," she said softly.

"They need time, Katerina. The things you've known for years is things that got bombarded on them 5 hours ago. They won't hate you for too long. Me on the other hand... I'm not too sure."

"I'll get them to come around, especially Stefan... Just wait, in a year you two will be best friends," she said chuckling.

I gave her a kiss on the cheek and lay down on the couch so she was on top of me. I brushed her hair away from her face and that's when I saw her neck. The neck I had gripped hard so many times. The neck I had given multiple bruises to. Anger came over me as I thought about what I had done to her.

"What is it? she asked with a smile.

"I've hurt you so much Katerina," I said grimacing, "I'm so sorry, I don't know what I was thinking."

Katerina took my face in her hands and brought it up so our eyes met.

"I forgive you, ok? I forgive you and I-I love you," she replied.

"I love you too. So much," I said overjoyed. I started to kiss her neck as if trying to undo the hurt I had caused her. She pulled me close and sighed.

"Dante, can I ask you something?"

"Anything," I mumbled.

"Why do you always call me by my full name? Everyone calls me Kat but you're the only person to call me Katerina."

"It's a beautiful name..." I said looking up "And because I thought you didn't want me to call you Kat. Besides I don't want to call you what everyone else does. I want you to have a special name. Mi amor? Too basic... Mi reina? Nah... Mi ojitos? Yes, that's the word. Mi ojitos."

"What does that mean?" she asked drawing circles on my chest.

"My little eyes. It's a term of endearment for people with pretty eyes."

She let out a laugh and she pulled me up, "The sky is lovely tonight. Come, let's go outside."

As she led me outside, I looked at how gorgeous she was. Katerina was wearing a long red dress that was strapless and decorated with diamonds. Her hair was moving in the light breeze. The moonlight brought the tiniest bit of light for us to see the city.

"I'm so fucking happy, Katerina. I haven't felt like this in such a long time," I said hugging her from behind.

"It's funny... If you had told me a month ago that we would be acting like this, I would've laughed in your face."

"All our secrets are out, our families know the truth of everything that happened, it just feels so freeing," I said sighing.

"... Dante... There's one thing I haven't told you," she said slowly, removing herself from my hands and sitting on the chaise lounge.

My heart pounded wondering what she was going to tell me. I sat next to her with my brows furrowed. Katerina looked sick, her face was downcast, total opposite from what she looked like a few minutes ago.

10 YEARS AGO

Her 15th birthday had come finally. She watched as her sister ran around with kids her age near the tall fir trees. Her parents stood talking to adults while her brother played football with his friends. A forest party was exactly what she wanted yet something felt off. Time moved slowly. Too slowly.