chapter 15 - the masquerade

KATERINA MORALES NÉE SOLDANO

The next morning I woke up with my back aching with pain. I hadn't gotten off the floor and as a result of that I slept in an uncomfortable position. I walked into the bathroom and looked at myself.

I was a mess.

My hair was tangled and wild, my eyes were puffy and red and my face was stained with dried tears. I checked my phone - it was already 11AM. And to top it all off, tonight was the masquerade. I took a long soak and tried to make myself look presentable, as if I wasn't crying my heart out 12 hours ago. I got changed into a white shirt and blue high waisted jeans.

I looked at myself one last time before leaving. My eyes had de puffed a bit and weren't as red. I looked alright but I kept my sunglasses on. I didn't want to interact with anyone just yet. I quickly gave myself some slaps to the face, hyping myself up and trying to fake a smile.

But no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't.

I made my way to the breakfast room with my sunglasses still on. My stomach had been rumbling non stop while I was getting ready. As soon as I stepped in, Dante's head whipped up to face me. The whole facade I was putting on broke instantly. I could feel the tears coming back and my throat became dry. I quickly turned around and headed to the car. Maybe breakfast in the town would be nice.

"Katerina! Don't leave."

Hearing Dante's calls and his footsteps behind me, made me walk faster. I didn't want to talk to him now. And probably ever again. Dante came up behind me and gripped my hand. I saw that his arm wasn't wrapped up and a fresh scar had formed. He caught me staring so I immediately pulled back and kept walking.

"Don't touch me Dante," I said coldly, "Just leave me alone."

"Just wait, I want to talk to you. I kn-"

"Dante, she doesn't want to talk to you. Just fucking leave man."

I turned to see who he joined our one sided conversation, and it was none other than Spencer Reik.

"You shut your mouth and fuck off. She's my wife and this doesn't concern you."

"It does concern me because even if she is your wife, you keep touching her without her consent and now she's clearly avoiding you but you can't seem to take the fucking hint. So why don't you do everyone a favour and listen to your wife."

Dante glared at Spencer and then looked to me.

"Fine. This conversation isn't over though," he said turning the other way.

"Are you ok?" Spencer asked me.

"Yeah... I'm fine. I just need to be alone right now."

"I get that. I'll see you around," he said with a faint smile.

Is that what it's like to have a man who respects your boundaries and doesn't force things. Wow, I'm really starved of that.

I ended up at a quaint cafe tucked in the corner of the bustling town. I ordered a rösti and coffee and then sat in the shade. I sat there for an hour thinking about how nice it would be to live in the countryside for a while, and get away from the busyness that is New York. A small buzz coming from my left pocket distracted me though.

"Cela? Hey, what is it?"

"Sorry Kat, I forgot I needed a reason to call you," I could sense that she was rolling her eyes, "How's Switzerland?"

"It's really nice. The weather is beautiful and I went on a hike yesterday in the countryside," I said feigning happiness.

"That sounds great. I can't wait for you to come to France though. The ballet is going crazy over this performance. I've been so busy and I'm just excited to see you. Also, how's Dante?"