chapter 2 - the ferrari

KATERINA SOLDANO

As I turned around, I was met with the proud faces of my parents.

"We heard you from across the room. It's quite marvellous how you command respect so easily, Kat," my mother started to say.

"Well I must say she learnt from the greatest," my dad continued as my mum playfully slapped his arm.

Our attention was drawn back to the auction as the final item of the night was presented.

"Oh, I had someone I wanted you to meet..." my dad started to say but was overpowered by the voice of the auctioneer.

"Ladies and gentlemen, our final item of the night. We've saved the best for last, because this ride is gorgeous. This is a 1963 Ferrari 250 GTO. Starting bid is $20 million."

My jaw fucking dropped. Out came the sexist car I've ever seen.

I want it... No. I need it.

Immediately bids came yelling out.

"22 million!"

"24 million!"

"27 million!"

"29 million!"

"40 million!"

The voice boomed through the entire building. Every pair of eyes turned to see who had offered 40 fucking million.

I didn't turn though. Because I'm gonna buy this motherfucking car.

"80 million!" I yell.

I heard gasps of shock and astonishment as all eyes left the previous bidder and lay on me.

"G-Going once, going t-twice, SOLD to Miss Katerina Soldano!" the auctioneer starts off nervous but finds his footing.

Stefan and Celeste look at me and then each other and roll their eyes.

"You're such a show off Kat," Stefan chuckles.

"What can I say," I shrug, "Not my fault I'm made of money."

My father clears his voice behind me, and next to him I see the Morales'. Immediately my behaviour changes. I become stoic, apathetic and alert. Long gone are the niceties and vigilance has now taken its place.

Javier Morales extends his hand and I shake it. Next to him, stands his oldest son. Dante fucking Morales. The spawn of Satan. The resident playboy of the mafia.

The man who killed my cousin.

Without looking at Dante, I turn to my dad and ask him in Polish:

"Dlaczego do diabła z nimi rozmawiamy?"
(Why the hell are we talking to them?)

"Katerina, proszę o cierpliwość. Nie wiem, czemu ich nie lubisz, ale mają ofertę."
(Katerina, please be patient. I don't know why you don't like them, but they have an offer.)

"Oferta biznesowa?"
(A business offer?)

"Tak, więc słuchaj."
(Yes, so listen)

"Możesz słuchać. Idę do baru. Powiedz mi wszystko później."
(You can listen. I'm going to the bar. Tell me everything later.)

With that, I turn my heel and head to the bar in an attempt to get wasted.

"Whiskey, on the rocks," I say with a sigh.

"I'll never work with a person like you."

I don't even need to turn to realise Dante had come up behind me.